We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montanito travel concerns

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
258 posts
220 reviews
Montanito travel concerns

Montanito's facebook page posted pictures recently indicating their streets are now empty of tourists and asking people to come back.

Has something happened and are their concerns with traveling there at this time?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
173 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Montanito travel concerns

Hello, people are scared for the earthquake we (ecuador) suffered 2 weeks ago, montañita wasn't affected at all

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
258 posts
220 reviews
2. Re: Montanito travel concerns

The earthquake was hundreds of miles away wasn't it? Somewhere I was seeing talk of 2 Argentinian girls who may have been murdered in Montanito??? Anyone know anything about that?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
101 reviews
3. Re: Montanito travel concerns

The epicenter was a couple hundred miles away, but people hear/read "the coast was destroyed" and stay away. Montañita escaped major damage.

Two Argentinian women disappeared and were found murdered in February. There are suspects in custody. This is very rare in Ecuador; not so much for Houston.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
258 posts
220 reviews
4. Re: Montanito travel concerns

We are not easily swayed by these types of "happenings", but I know others are. I like to be informed and we always travel with caution no matter where we are. However, this will not keep us from our November visit.

Thank you for the information.

Level Contributor
173 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Montanito travel concerns

If you love the beach, I recommend you visit ayampe beach, is a beautiful, safe and relaxing place :) not crowded as montañita, and there are really nice hotels

Montanita, Ecuador
Level Contributor
59 posts
6. Re: Montanito travel concerns

Hey clpayne,

Yes unfortunately after the earthquake most tourism on the coast disappeared--even those unaffected by the earthquake and many businesses just wanted to remind potential visitors that the sun was still shining and Montanita was still an awesome destination where people should want to visit.

It is true, in February as a community we were suddenly shocked with grief and tragedy with the news of the disappearance and later death of the two young Argentinian girls. This tragic event is the very opposite of what Montanita is all about and I am happy to hear your continued plans to visit us in November. As you said, it is very important to be informed and aware while traveling.

7. Re: Montanito travel concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Montanita
More Montanita Topics