We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

We're going to be there the last part of August and first part of September, but now are worried because it looks like we'll be there in the middle of two straight weeks with heavy rains every day and no sunshine. Besides having the trip generally ruined, do we have to plan around roads being closed because of floods and landslides?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,217 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

It's not so much if the _Mindo_ forecasts are accurate, it's the accuracy of the web site you're using. Check those against your local weather and see how the sites stack up.

I was just in Quito and Pululahua and while it clouded up every day, I experienced only one shower. The weather sites would have been showing rain every day if I had bothered to look. It is still dry season for a few more weeks so I doubt you have much to worry about.

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

At least in Guayaquil, they're not accurate.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

Thank you, that makes me feel better. Do you have any local sites you recommend to check the weather?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
785 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

In theory, Mindo should be in dry season now, but the weather is a bit messed up this year and it's quite wet right now. The rain is pretty predictable, it is usually a heavy downpour for a couple of hours in the late afternoon. Other than being a bit unusual at this time of year, it's pretty normal for Mindo and it's really nothing to worry about, it won't ruin your trip. Regardless of the season, Mindo is always misty and damp because it's cloud forest, so you need wet weather gear anyway.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

Thanks. This is a bird-focused trip and usually we do most of that in the morning--anything in the afternoon is gravy.

6. Re: Are Mindo weather forecasts accurate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2018, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Mindo
More Mindo Topics