We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

We will be in Quito for a few days and really want to head to Mindo. We are not birders more sport adventurers. We could stay the night if needed. Just wanted advice on what we should do. Trying to not miss out on anything!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

It's easy and cheap to take a bus from La Ofelia bus terminal. You can get a direct bus (Flor deValle) that will drop you off in the middle of the town in about two hours. I can highly recommend the Dragonfly Inn by the river as you come into town. Haven't stayed at Caskafesu, but have eaten lunch there and seen the rooms and that would be a good choice, also.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
146 reviews
2. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

Take public bus is cheap. It starts near El Ejido. It costs usd 2 or something like that.

Check the mechanical shape of it, tires, susspension and ask the driver if brakes are working ok.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Edited: 14 February 2011, 23:22
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
80 reviews
3. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

asking the driver if the breaks work okay is ridiculous. even if he has no brakes he will reply in the positive. oh, and tell us how to check the suspension on a big bus- maybe get under the bus with a flashlight?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
146 reviews
4. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

My intention wasn't to make a ridiculous comment.

If you are familiar with mechanic, then checking thew tires is really easy. You can feel the suspension once you are riding on board of the bus.

If the brakes are not working properly, or if the driver is pumping too much the brakes pump, then the fluid will start to boil and it will stink. Is very easy to identify this type of smell.

When I used to ride buses and see the driver was speeding and surpassing on blind corners (which is the typical way they always drive so far) I used to yell them and order them to drive safely, then the rest of passengers followed my action and the whole bus passengers putted pressure on the driver in terms to demand him (trough yelling) to slow down and drive o a decent way.

Now that I am a father of two kids, I don't ride public buses anymore.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Edited: 12 September 2011, 16:57
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

Every forum here is talking about public transport but nothing about hiring private cars, driver included or a taxi. I would like to visit Mindo but i don't want to take the tour packages on offers. I would like to hire a car/taxi so that I can stop when ever I want and take pictures where ever I want. Can anyone recommend a reliable taxi company?

Thanks

mary rose

6. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 17:05
Edited: 11 August 2013, 17:05
7. Re: Best way to get to Mindo from Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Mindo