We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird watching tours in Mindo

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bird watching tours in Mindo

Hello,

I'll be staying in Mindo at the end of June in Saguamby Mindo lodge, and I want to see the birds there. Can I do it on my own, or it's better to take a tour? I think tour would be better, especially with the good guide. Can you recommend me anyone? I know many people go for bird watching to Mindo Nambillo Cloud Forest Reserve - are there any tours there?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

I would contact one of the Arias brothers, Irman or Marcelo, and see what he can work up for you. They are both well-regarded, professional guides.

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

Thank you, I've heard about them too. I'll try to find them online.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

We booked a morning of bird watching through Mindo Bird Adventure. They also arrange a variety of other activities but specialize in birding. Miguel is the business owner and Santos was our birding guide. Miguel also owns a hotel lodge on a nearby river; after we bird watched (saw several toucans and parrots among a variety of other species) we were treated to a breakfast of fried plantains and fresh cheese at the riverside dining deck at his lodge. Magical morning.

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

I had two bird watching trips this summer with Marcelo, and they were fantastic! I'd booked one first, but was so impressed that booked another one, to see Cock of the Rock.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

Can you give a website or email for Marcelo please?? Is he private or with a hotel???

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

He is private, although I believe some hotels in Mindo recommend him. He doesn't have a web site yet, although he told me that he was working on it. I was communicating with him through his brother Irman, he recommended Marcelo to me. Irman has a web site with the contact form:

http://www.mindobirdguide.com

I've heard that Irman is also great.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
40 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

Check out Charlie Vogt of Andean Birding Tours. https://www.andeanbirding.com I just did a private 7 day bird tour of NW Ecuador. He was excellent! Tell him Edna A. says hello!

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bird watching tours in Mindo

Javier Arias is a fantastic Mindo bird guide. HIs ability to spot and identify birds is amazing.Once the bird is identified, he locates it in his Swarovski spotting scope to provide a great close-up look. Highly recommended !

Contact info: mindobirdguide@gmail.com

javier_mindobirdguide@hotmail.com

Reply to: Bird watching tours in Mindo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mindo
More Mindo Topics