We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around once there

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
317 posts
13 reviews
getting around once there

It looks pretty easy to get to Mindo from Quito, but I don't see much information on how to get around. Are taxis and buses easy to access? We are interested in doing some hiking, tubing, and zipline. We would prefer to hike without a guide so we can set our own pace and time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
193 reviews
1. Re: getting around once there

The zipline was a lot of fun! I think they provided transport from the office in town to the site (which wasn't all that far). Where are you staying in Mindo?

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
317 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: getting around once there

We have not decided yet. We are also considering Bellavista though it sounds like a destination for birders. Mindo sounds like we would have beautiful scenery and has more options for things to do. We are open to suggestions on where to stay and where the best hiking trails are.

Bolivia
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: getting around once there

We stayed at the Yellow House which is just on the outskirts of town. There were always taxis waiting at the plaza in town. We went hiking twice to the waterfalls. We took a taxi there and there was usually a taxi waiting after hiking or you can just wait until a taxi drops someone off.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: getting around once there

I know there are taxis pretty much everywhere . I have been told by our hostel owner to just catch a taxi so that leads me

to believe there are.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: getting around once there

We also stayed at Yellow House and I highly recommend it. There are some great hiking trails on the property and the owners are lovely people. Taxis are easy to find in town, or just get your hotel to call one. Keep in mind thought that the taxis are mostly just white utes/pickup trucks - they are not generally labelled as taxis.

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
317 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: getting around once there

We are leaning towards Yellow House and have begun to look at taking the bus from Quito to Mindo and taking the bus back to Quito on the day of our flight home. I have read a couple of post stating the bus lets you off on the main highway. We would not want to walk far with our luggage. I'm also considering hiring a private driver or taxi to take us all the way back to the airport on the day of our flight home. I know we could take the bus and get a taxi on to the airport, but it would make the trip back much less complicated as far as schedule and arranging a taxi from the bus station on to the airport. I would love to hear back from anyone who has experience with either.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: getting around once there

Take the Flor del Valle bus line from La Ofelia, which goes into Mindo and drops you off at the "terminal"--just a ticket office, really.

Edited: 21 November 2016, 12:10
Mobile AL
Level Contributor
317 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: getting around once there

Do you need to buy bus tickets to Mindo from Quito in advance? If so, can they be purchased online? We are staying in old town before taking the bus to Mindo. I don't want to spend time taking a taxi to the bus station a day in advance to buy tickets.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
101 reviews
9. Re: getting around once there

There is no need to purchse in advance, but if you are traveling on a weekend or holiday you might plan to take an early bus, or, if later in the day, show up earlier to purchase your ticket. The bus back can get sold out for the same circumstances, so buy your return ticket a day ahead. The "terminal" in Mindo is very small and centrally located on the main drag.

10. Re: getting around once there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2018, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Mindo
More Mindo Topics