We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Ilhabela

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Ilhabela

Hi - we're a group of 5 spending 5 days in Ilhabela and wanted recommendations for

things to see, fun activities like scuba, waterfalls etc., good restaurants/eats and bars/nightlife.

We have a car and are open to an adventure. Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Ilhabela

Hey~! I've been to ilhabella last year with my bf and we just fell in love with each other and stuffs heeehee!! I followed a topic from a couple and it was wonderful!~

First at the airport you can buy the bus ticket at LITORANEA, i remember they didnt accept credit card, but everyone recommends that one, so i went with them. The trip lasts 5 hours and it ends at the terminal so you can sleep calmly. Then you have to take the berry that is free, you will see a lot of people sitting there and waiting for the berry. We had booked HOTEL DO PIUVA, it was excellent! you have a pool with jacuzzi and a bar right there, for me it was romantic. At the first day we just radomly walked and went to the neares beach that is in front of ILHA DA CABRAS, we rented a snorkel, eated oysters and fried tapioca and drank a lot of beer, then we took a bus to downtown and just walked around and eated around, try everything that it is selled on the street!! We saw a scooter rental and booked it for the next day. When we rode the scooter we went to CACHOEIRA DA TOCA that is a park with waterfalls its quite fun if you are a fun person to be with, you'll understand. AH!!! i forgot to tell you that at ilhabela there are a lot of small mosquitos called "borrachudos" be aware of that and use a lot of citronella oil or OFF you'll decide. That day we just fooled around with the scooter. The third day we took a boat just from the pier of the hotel to BONETE (this place is insanely beautiful if you are a mother nature lover), if you want to visit this other point of ilhabela i must to tell you that the only POUSADA that has wifi and a little bit of technology is POUSADA CANTO BRAVO the only place that you can use credit card in BONETE, don't miss the TRILHAS (the walking).

I've just told you some tips i found interesting while i was there, just go wild and explore! Don't stop asking, ask for the beaches, for the fun places and all that, ask every local it's super fun!

Good luck and hv a lot of fun!!

(sorry for my english is not that fluent)

Germany
Level Contributor
486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Ilhabela

I was there in 2010 and what happened to me with mosquitos was just like out of a horror film. Where I stayed on the island it was okay..., just a few "normal" mosquitos. One afternoon I caught a bus to some other place. I went to the beach, after just 10 minutes I had about 35 huge mosquito bites. THE PUNCTURES WERE AS BIG AS HIT BY KNITTING NEEDLES. I ran to street but there was no bus, then stopped the next car just to get away. I went to the hospital in Sao Paolo, the bites were itching so badly and the bites were like 5 cm diameter. They told me it would go away. Indeed it went away after some weeks but at a few spots I got scars. I don't know if the mosquito situation meanwhile has changed there. I was told about the mosquitos before but who would have imagined this? Fortunately it happened almost at the end of my vacation.

Edited: 03 December 2014, 21:06
Germany
Level Contributor
486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Ilhabela

PS: I just saw my old pics...., my own bites were way worse than everything you can see on the internet by searching for borrachudos. Blood was running down my legs - without any itching, just from the bites. I swear it's the truth: about 35 bites in 10 minutes.

Edited: 03 December 2014, 21:35
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Ilhabela

This is so helpful! Do you remember the name of the scooter rental company? And was it in the old historic town? We are on Ilhabela now but our hotel doesn't know where we can rent scooters...

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Ilhabela

It is in downtown and next to a delicious restaurant, that i forgot the name... You'll see a place that looks like a repair shop but is a car and motorcycle rental place! Remember when you arrived? Well, walking 2 blocks straight you'll find it. Hope you see it!!

6. Re: 5 days in Ilhabela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2016, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Ilhabela
Recent Conversations