We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falmouth or New Bedford?

Hazleton...
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
Falmouth or New Bedford?

My husband and I will be traveling on June 16-18. We will arrive and explore (shopping/dining) in the 16th, take a ferry to MV or Nantucket in the 17th then leave for Boston on the 18th. Suggestions for best place to stay

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,335 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

Falmouth is a much beloved vacation destination.

New Bedford is not.

Edited: 01 June 2016, 21:00
Hazleton...
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

Thanks for the info! How about Hyannis?

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,335 posts
693 reviews
3. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

It's the biggest town on Cape Cod with lots of hotels, shops, restaurants, and people.

If you look on the Cape Cod forum, you'll see a Top Question (on the right side) is "where should I stay".

Tons of info already gathered for you there

Hazleton...
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

Thanks!

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
264 reviews
5. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

You can stay at Hampton Inn or the Seaport Inn in Fairhaven. There is a Fairfield Inn on the waterfront in New Bedford. From that hotel, you can walk to the New England Fast Ferry and take a trip to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. The trip to MV from NB takes one hour and to Nantucket two hours. The thing with the Cape is the crowds and traffic and I'd avoid that if I could. New Bedford has a bustling downtown area with shops, restaurants, and the biggest Whaling Museum on the east coast. Between Fairhaven and New Bedford there are lots of waterfront dining choices and nice places to go enjoy the view by the ocean. New Bedford is only one hour south of Boston and again no traffic to deal with when you are ready to go back to Boston. Is New Bedford Cape Cod? No, it isn't but if your objective is to get to the Vineyard, there is no easier way.

Here is the ferry link.

https:/…

Hazleton...
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

Thank you so much for the information! This is very helpful!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
1 review
7. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

New Bedford is a pretty cool city. (and one that has it's problems.)

Personally I'd rather a short stay in New Bedford over Falmouth. But odds are pretty good that Falmouth would more fit the tastes of someone who's also chosen MV and Nantucket.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
264 reviews
8. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

Yes, that's true Hank. If they only want a place for a quick stopover to get to the islands, New Bedford is a great choice because as we all know, the Cape is overcrowded in the summer. Why spend time in traffic when you can be zipping along on a fast ferry to the Islands? Also, New Bedford is close to Newport, RI and Plymouth for day trip options. There is a new Marriott hotel in Wareham that is 20 minutes to the Cape bridges and 20 minutes to New Bedford for the ferry to the Islands. Very easy highway access from there to both destinations.

Hazleton...
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
9. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

Thanks!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Falmouth or New Bedford?

I hope you are choosing to stay in Falmouth.

Reply to: Falmouth or New Bedford?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Bedford
More New Bedford Topics