We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bedford in the winter?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
New Bedford in the winter?

I will be going to New Bedford w/ my family to do a course for 4 months and if you could tive me some tips of activity for kids in the winter and good places to rent houses from december to may of next year. I 'am Brazilian

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

The zoo is open, even in winter. There is a YMCA that you could all join as a family so that you can all swim and exercise. We have museums to explore, skating rinks, malls and movie theaters. If it snows, they could go sledding. Are your children school age and do they need to be in school? What is your budget for a rental? Will you have transportation? If you can give me more info, I could probably help you better.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

For long term house rentals for that time of year I would check our websites such as VRBO.com and Homeaway.com.

They are primarily for holiday rentals but those months you are looking at can be slow times of year so alot of them might be able to offer longer monthly rentals at discounted rates.

We have stayed on Cape Cod for the last 3 Christmas's which is "just around the corner" from New Bedford. Last Christmas we went into New Bedford to visit the whaling museum. What we saw of the historical district area was very nice and lots of small shops and restaurants etc.

Obviously Im no expert on the area but I would definitely check out the two websites I gave you for rental info.

Pete

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

Thanks for this information

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

They dont have to be in school, and around 1000 dolars for rent.

And i intend to buy a car, só will be easy to move around.

Best Regards

Paulo

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

VRBO and Homeaway are great sites to check out. You could also look for rentals in Dartmouth and Fairhaven. They are right next to New Bedford. You are going to buy a car for four months use? That does not make financial sense. You'll have to pay sales tax, register it, get plates on it, get insurance. That will cost you more than $1000. Do you mean you are renting a car? Have you checked with the program you will be involved with to see if they offer housing or have transportation?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

Yes i checked w/ then no transport, housing only a hotel and will be cheaper to rent a house, or buy a car then renting even with this taxes

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Bedford in the winter?

How about looking into the Residence Inn located in Dartmouth. I know they did long term rentals at one point.

marriott.com/hotels/…

When you do a rental, most times you have to put the electric, gas, and cable in your name so you will receive the bill for payment. You could probably find one that includes utilities but they mostly don't. Again check Homeaway and the VRBO websites.

You are going to need an American license to obtain auto insurance. if you do not have insurance, you cannot register your car and it is not legal to drive it. Here is a link about getting a drivers license here.

justlanded.com/english/…Driving-Licence

Reply to: New Bedford in the winter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Bedford
More New Bedford Topics