We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Looking for a place for lunch for this week. Four of us are exploring New Bedford on Wednesday, and would love to enjoy lunch near the water if possible, but a true local restaurant. We loved our 3 weeks in Portugal and are looking to find an authentic place in New Bedford.

12 replies to this topic
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
1. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Hello, the best Portuguese restaurant is Antonio's on Coggeshall Street. It isn't located in downtown New Bedford but is close by. You would head down Rte 18 North from downtown and take a right (Coggeshall St) at the first light. Antonio's is on your left, two blocks down. They have a parking lot across the street. For seafood, there is the Black Whale on the dock near the ferry terminal. There is also a seafood restaurant across the Fairhaven bridge called Fathoms. If you head towards Fairhaven, it's right on your left after you go over the bridge. It's not as pricey as the Black Whale. If you want the best burger you have ever had, try dNB Burger right downtown. They were featured on the Phantom Gourmet. They only do burgers and they are incredible. We have two new breweries downtown. Moby Dick Brewery has great beer but the food is average in my opinion. If you want authentic Italian, try Carmines. If you want awesome Mexican, try No Problemo's. They're both downtown. Please let me know if I can help you further.

Edited: 18 June 2017, 22:14
Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

I greatly appreciate your response. Thank you! I will post after Wednesday.

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Any thoughts about The Roasted Pig?

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
4. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

I have never been there. I don't think they have been open for long. You could also try Cotali Mar for Portuguese food on Acushnet Ave. What types of things are you doing in New Bedford?

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Thanks again. We are planning to wander, go to galleries and the Whaling Museum. I am definitely open to suggestions!

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
6. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

The Whaling Museum is quite impressive. Be sure to also take a peak inside the Semen's Bethel across the street. It's a very unique church and an important part of New Bedford history. If you want to see some breathtaking ocean views, head out to Fort Tabor/Fort Rodman. It's about 10 minutes out of downtown. There is a free Military Museum there. Ft Tabor is a beautiful place to take a walk. They do charge to park there. Also, if you head over the Fairhaven Bridge into Fairhaven, there is Fort Phoenix with free parking. You can walk on the hurricane barrier and check out beautiful ocean views. Both places are worth a visit if you want to get out and walk near the ocean. The center of Fairhaven has stunning architecture donated by Henry Huttleston Rogers. There is a small restaurant in the center of Fairhaven, Margarets. They get rave reviews.

Edited: 19 June 2017, 16:05
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

You can also look into a harbor tour.

whalingcityexpeditions.com/whaling-city-harb…

New Bedford...
Level Contributor
252 posts
198 reviews
8. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Do not go to Cotali Mar or Antonio's for Portuguese food. Sure, if you have never had Portuguese food, it will be good, but if you know what real Portuguese food tastes like, you will never eat there!

I would recommend Girasol on Acushnet Ave (not fancy by all means, but amazing food). If you want something a little more nicer to sit and eat, I would recommend Bom Appetite on Belleville Ave. The food there is REAL Portuguese food to die for!

note: I know you probably already spent your day in NB, but hoping others can see this for the future....or if you ever come back!

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

Many thanks. We will be back!

Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
10. Re: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch

We wound up going to Alianca, which was a treat. We were very well taken care of by the owner's daughter.

Reply to: Best Portuguese+fresh (non-fried) seafood for lunch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Bedford
More New Bedford Topics