We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

Scranton...
2 posts
Save Topic
Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

My husband and some guests attempted to spend a week in this dump. Here is why this place gets a terrible rating.

We paid for an early check-in weeks in advance. We show up around 10 AM as advised to Rob (the owner) and there is already a family staying there because they overbooked. So his mother Lily (who was nice at the time) had us stay in a run down shack around the corner with all our luggage until the other family packed up and left. Then we had to wait an additional hour while the cleaning lady mopped up. She also didn't empty the garbage, which was overflowing.

We finally get to the house and some of the bonuses listed in this advertisement were not there or were broken. There was no blender, fridge was broken, tv was the size of a laptop screen. Also the stove was so awful it took 45 min to boil a pot of water. A friend of mine was resting in a hammock outside when two men in a pickup truck flew into the driveway at no less than 30 mph with a new fridge, which when installed (outside for some reason), seemed to work fine. My friend opened the door and it came right off.

The location is right in the middle of pretty much an adandoned neighborhood. People drive by at 3 miles an hour while staring. They park in front of the house across the street with their "girlfriends" and perform unsightly sexual acts. Kids come to the beach at night to do drugs. The beach itself is a nice view, but I wouldn't attempt to swim in there. There are TONS of sea urchins everywhere and the whole bottom is jagged rocks, so false advertising saying you can surf or boogey board here, unless you'd prefer to end up in a hospital later. Also, the fact we saw a police car everyone 15 min indicated this wasn't the best neighborhood. And the closest good swimming spot is about a 45 min walk down the beach behind a run down "resort." There were also plenty of stray dogs in the area and the house had crabs running around like ants.

To top off the whole experience, at night when we were about to lie down for sleep, we found all the beds infested with BEDBUGS. They were all over the place. We had enough. We promptly called Lily and demanded a refund as there was no way we were staying here any longer. She showed up to try to compare gnats to bedbugs, which was pretty much insulting our intelligence, since they were obviously differnt. There were small blood stains on the sheets from other people being bitten by the bedbugs. Lily tried saying it was rust from the ocean air. Sorry, fabric doesn't rust. Try again.

While waiting outside planning our exit to the nearest hotel (remember, I mentioned Lily was nice before), she shows up screaming and throwing a fit about us and demands for us to leave with nowhere to go at almost 2 AM with our luggage. Rob and Lily were advised that the cab would take about an hour or so to arrive but she was incredibly rude and ignorant the whole time about letting us stay under the car port, since it was raining. Rob later calls my cellphone and says he will be calling the police.

This whole stay was a nightmare. We have the pictures to prove it. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. We are in the process of notifying the authorities as we feel they should be punished for submitting such bad service and false advertisement to out of towners.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

Have to ask.

Why is this your first post?

Asking questions on a TA forum before you do commit would have saved you many headaches.

I do feel bad for what you had to endure but if you did your homework before hand would have saved you from this dilemma.

At least for next time you will know better.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

We are in the process of notifying the authorities as we feel they should be punished for submitting such bad service and false advertisement to out of towners.

that sound you just heard was me laughing.

Scranton...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

This was just a message to anyone who may have come across this rental home and is considering staying.

As far as "doing my homework," we did not see this place and jump all over it. We saw many great reviews about it with no negative feedback. This vacation was into weeks in planning and researching on this site and others.

Also in regards to my first post, I do not spend time on message boards. Only on occasion I will look for info on what I am getting myself into, and in this case as mentioned before, we found no negative feedback on this home whatsoever.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

Where did you see those "great reviews? Definitely they were not from the TA Experts... we would have directed you to Villa Montana Resort or somewhere else instead than to that dumpster! Sorry you had such a bad experience. Next time, ask the TA experts, who will gladly help you make the best choice.

Edited: 25 June 2011, 21:38
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

I assume the OP saw the great reviews here on TA- under the vacation rental :

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Allycat-I think it is really a shame you had such a bad experience. The other reviews are excellent, so you should write your review to that page (so others are warned when they search for a place to stay).

I hope you found a nice place to stay and enjoyed your time in PR after the rough start.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

did you pay for the whole stay in advance or just one night?

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

Just read those reviews and IMO, they are a little missleading and do not go hand in hand with the furnishing and appliances of the house (nice house though). From the views of the beach you can see it's a rocky beach with a very strong surf & high waves only suitable for surfing.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Hope you found a better place to stay to suit your needs. As Flowerfarm said, you should write detailed review to warn others.

Scranton, PA
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

We paid in advance but thankfully at least we got a full refund after getting chewed out by the owner...

We have tried writing a review a few times but I am under the assumption the owner is denying the tripadvisor staff of our stay there since I guess visitor reviews have to be verified by the property owner. I'm sure he knew a bad review was coming eventually.

SunMoonStars, yes we did. We got a last minute two story in Aguadilla, PR for $200 less than where we originally were, bug free!! It was great and I would definiately go back and recommend it to others. PR really is a great place with plenty to do, I just hope everyone that does go in the future doesn't fall prey to something like this.

I will mention though the view was pretty from the first house though. :)

9. Re: Hatillo, PR vacation rental "Beach Goers Delight!" WARNING

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Isabela