We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to SF

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Transportation to SF

My wife and I will be in Mill Valley next week. We will be visiting Muir Woods, some of the beaches, Mt. Tam, driving up Highway 1 to Point Reyes, and maybe Napa Valley and maybe Angel Island. We will be going to SF at least two days. We are going to Alcatraz on Sunday the 21st morning and will probably spend the rest of that day in SF. We are going to a concert at the Fillmore on Monday the 22nd evening. We have already purchased our Muir Woods parking pass and our Alcatraz tickets. We will have a rental car. This is our first trip to the area. Does anyone have recommendations on getting to and from SF? Should I drive the rental car or use public transportation? If I drive, what are the best places to park? I was thinking of driving to a lot near Pier 33 for Alcatraz, then leaving the car there for the day and using public transportation to get around the city for the rest of Sunday. Also, maybe show up midday on Monday and stay in the city till the concert. Any tips?

5 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,321 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Transportation to SF

I would just rent a car for your stay and pay to park in the city. Read how to pay online to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. No toll takers. Don't pay for the transponder from the rental agency. Sometimes you have to opt out.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,430 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Transportation to SF

Car breakins are a SF epidemic so do not leave anything in the car please

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Transportation to SF

if you are staying in mill valley you could park at the ferry on the marin county side and leave your car there then take the ferry to the city ,

there's the ferry from sausaiito or from larkspur - which is close to mill valley and easier because you can avoid the traffic. and the car breakins are terrible .

I would if i had to go to the city, take the ferry from larkspur and go in and use uber during the day on sunday and on monday take the ferry and then take uber to get over to the fillmore.

it's a little more costly but bus and bart are a bit less convenient and your vacation time is primo.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,321 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Transportation to SF

The ferry schedule will likely not work for the Fillmore concert as the last one back from SF is 9 something weekday and 7 something weekend.

While break ins are a problem, many people still drive and park in SF. Just take precautions and not leave anything out. I drive to SF many weekends and park all over the city. My time is too precious.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,537 posts
5. Re: Transportation to SF

I would use Uber or Lyft so I could have some drinks. If you won’t be drinking I would drive.

Reply to: Transportation to SF
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted