We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice - need help on locations

Madison, WI
2 posts
Save Topic
hotel advice - need help on locations

I am attending a conference at the World Congress Center on a weekend in January. We will be staying on a Saturday night and Sunday night and leaving Monday morning. However, we are a group of college students and are looking to keep costs as low as possible since we will be driving from Wisconsin and gas will cost us quite a bit of money. This means that staying downtown is likely out of the question. The only good price I could find was the Motel 6 downtown for 65/night on Expedia, but noticed it is still appears to be a little way away from the GWCC. Is it within walking distance? This would be probably the only thing that would be a major plus, as anywhere else we stayed away from downtown we would have to pay for parking at the conference.

We were also looking at hotels in the Cumberland Mall area, the Perimeter Mall area, and by the airport. There was also a La Quinta in Lenox/Buckhead. If we stayed in either of the mall areas, we could stay at a little bit better of a place for the same money, but would be a little bit further from downtown. The distance shouldn't be a problem, but would traffic be a problem? I'm assuming that the weekend traffic should be OK, but I don't know Atlanta very well.

Finally, since we will be headed back north Monday morning, I'm thinking that the areas on the north/northwest side would be better as compared to the airport, so that is another thing to consider.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Thanks in advance!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

I just took a look at the La Quinta Buckhead and I don't think that would be an enjoyable location.

Perimeter would be your best bet since you can take MARTA downtown easily. Parking at the stations in the Perimeter area would be free as long as you don't leave the car overnight.

Traffic Monday morning will be bad no matter where you stay. If you can leave either before 6:30 or after 9:00, you'd avoid most of the worst.

Edited: 04 January 2010, 13:29
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

Look at MARTA website to help you plan.. there is a Marta station at both the Lenox and the Perimeter Mall areas the Cumberland Mall area is not part of the MARTA rapid transit system but is served by buses..if you stay at a downtown hotel there will be parking fees involved as well ..there are Hampton Inns located around the city..I would suggest checking out some of them and planning to drive and bite the bullet and pay the World Congress Center parking fee... also keep in mind Monday morning in Atlanta traffic can be wild and time your departure either before or after the rush hour fun

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

I think that Motel 6 is right next to the interstate, and not in the greatest area of town. It can be difficult to find a decent cheap motel downtown (if it is a cheap hotel inside of I-285, it is probably in a very bad neighborhood or is a distressed property). I would look at Perimeter Center or the airport, if you find something somewhere else, run it by us first and we will let you know what kind of area it is in.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

You are correct that heading northwest in the morning from downtown or further north should not be a problem, unless it is raining or there is an accident on I-75 northbound. The worst of the traffic is southbound at that time. If you stay in the Perimeter area, you will need to be on I-285 before 7 to avoid traffic to I-75, or wait until 8:30-9am to leave. If you stay at the airport you will face heavy traffic northbound to downtown (unless you take I-285 West/North around the City-- which can also have delays but not usually as bad as 75/85 through town.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

Why don't you try bidding for a hotel on Priceline? If you select a 3.5 star and/or a 4 star hotel in downtown you should get something for $65 or less. If your bid is successful, then whatever hotel you end up getting will be within walking distance of the GWCC for sure. This is by far your best bet.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

If I were you, I would stay in Midtown. There are a few Marta stops there. It would be quick and easy to get to downtown or out to Buckhead and Perimeter. There are a lot of reasonable hotels in the area. I believe there is a hotel called the Regency Suites Hotel that is right next to the midtown marta station and their rates are usually reasonable. There are other large scale chain hotels in the area as well. It is less than 10 minutes to get to downtown and up to Buckhead from the midtown MARTA station.

7. Re: hotel advice - need help on locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 05:19