We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better time to visit - March or June?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Better time to visit - March or June?

I'd like to take my 12 year daughter on a trip to Atlanta. Her spring break is early March. Is this a good time to visit or would waiting until summer be better?

I've been reading about so many things to do it's hard to decide. I'm sure I'll be posting many more questions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

Early March would be my vote. There's a chance that it'll still be cold or rainy, but on the other hand it's almost guaranteed to be hot in June. Depending on what the weather's been like, there's a good chance that the redbuds, Bradford pear trees and perhaps even some of the ornamental cherries or dogwoods will have started blooming by then. Probably too early for azaleas and such, but overall you're more like to have some spring color in early March -- by June, it'll pretty much be over. The Botanical Garden and the grounds of the Atlanta History Center should be very nice in early March.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,717 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

I agree. June will be hot hot hot and there's real potential for some pretty spring-like days in March.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

I cast my vote for March also, better to bundle up a little than to be hot all day.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

One thing I hate about this area (and I've lived here almost all my life) is the summers. It's not the heat so much as the humidity that makes if very uncomfortable outside. But spring is about the best time of year, you'll miss the best of it in early March but it's still much better than June.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

Depends on what you want to do while here. Some of the outdoor attractions like Six Flags and other amusement parks may not be open yet, or will have limited schedules in early March. It is not uncommon to have some snow or chance of snow in early March as well. But as others have stated, June can be brutal if you are going to do alot of outdoor activities (but it is not as brutal as late July and early August). So my vote would be late March or early June, depending upon the activities you have in mind.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

Thanks for everyone's responses. I still haven't decided yet...I'm a cold temperature wimp and don't mind the heat too much...I'm used to it here in Texas. I'm really leaning towards March though because it sounds beautiful. I would love to see the Botanical Garden at that time. If I do decide on summer I'll be sure to make it early June so as to avoid the worst of the heat. Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

My personal tastes in beauty tend towards June than March. Though you've got some blossoming trees going on, early March is still wrapped in the dreariness of Southern winter, whereas in June you've got full foliage and even some blooming wildflower if you're out in natural areas.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

All due respect, bluecuzco, but you underestimate the difference that just a hundred miles or so of north-south distance can make in the beginning of the blooming season. I realize it's still not happening yet in Chattanooga at the first of March, but down here it is (there's even a few days difference, typically, in the bloom dates for the redbud trees between my home in Roswell and areas down around the airport). My wife's and son's birthdays are both in the first couple of days of March, and I know that by then we usually have daffodils, redbuds, and often Bradford pears blooming. By a week or so into the month they're definitely in bloom, absent some unusual circumstance.

And even though it's not summer temps yet, it's usually warming up nicely by then -- cold spells aren't uncommon, but the most likely case in early March is highs in the upper 50s, lows in the upper 30s.

Edited: 29 December 2009, 23:33
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

That's funny that you point that out Rack. We drive a few hours east in late March/early April for a horse race every year (roughly the same latitude). I'm struck every time by how everything is in full bloom while we haven't reached that peak yet. If you've ever watched the Masters, their azaleas are always in full glory while ours are just peeking out.

10. Re: Better time to visit - March or June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 05:15