We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
65 reviews
Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

I wonder if anyone can point me to a centrally located budget hotel South of Cuming, North of Leavenworth and East of 40th St. Are there any B&B's ?

Cheers, Happy Haloween with lots candy bars & boiling cauldrens.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
584 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Here are a few:

Econolodge-23rd and Douglas

Best Western Seville-30th & Davenport

Doubletree-16th & Dodge

Courtyard by Marrriott-10th & Dodge

I would say Econolodge and Best Western will be the least expensive with the other two more. You will have to check Expedia, etc. or the hotel's website for exact prices. Also, not knowing what you are in town to do, the Doubletree and Marriott are located right downtown, and are a short walk from the Old Market. The Old Market is an area with numerous restaurants and bars.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 21:23
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Yep,

Econolodge & Best Western. I lived in the Big O from 1951 until 1979 but have not been back for at least four or five years and my how things do change. Besides, I always had a place to stay free up 'till now. I thought it best to ask on TA which has been an enormous help in the past couple of years. They auto-notified me of a round trip non-stop flight from Miami to London Heath Row for $444.00 in April.

Booya!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
192 reviews
3. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

And don't forget to lock your doors and leave nothing visible in your vehicle when you park it - especially at the Seville and any facility with a non secured parking lot.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Sad, really.

When my parents were kids there 40th & Farnam was considered West Omaha. I remember seeing a World Herald obit describing an apartment there as "West Omaha". The street car from downtown turned around on its rails there and headed back down.

People never locked their cars but people of color were not allowed into Peony Park swimming pool. I swam there every summer and it never ever dawned on me that some folks were not allowed. So for me to feel that the old days in Omaha were simpler and nobler would be living in denial.

I guess to get to West Omaha nowadays you'd pretty much have to go to Lincoln?

Omaha
Level Contributor
269 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Hi Geoffbob - here are a few other options - although technically north of Cuming, there are several hotels such as Fairfield and Hampton just north of downtown near the new TDAmeritrade Park and the Centurylink (formerly Qwest) Center. They are all pretty new. If you would prefer to be more mid-town, take a look at the Element Omaha Midtown about 33rd and Dodge. If you haven't been to Omaha in 4-5 years you won't believe the new development around Mutual of Omaha. It's a very upscale area w/restaurants and entertainment. Hopefully one of these or the hotels previously mentioned will fit in your budget.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Suzi-Q,

At thoity thoid & Dodge I'd be in my element so mayhaps the aptly named Inn would work out. I heard Mutual did a number thereabouts. is the little park between Dodge & Farnam still available?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
584 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

West Omaha is not quite to Lincoln but slowly getting there. :) Your old definition of West Omaha is now downtown.

West Omaha would now be consdered 144th - 204th. Also, a couple of years ago, Omaha annexed Elkhorn, so now Omaha extends quite a ways out west.

Omaha
Level Contributor
269 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

I think you are talking about Turner Park, which is the centerpiece of the new development. Here's a link to the Midtown Corssing website. HAve fun planning your trip!

http://www.midtowncrossing.com/

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

Oh yes! Turner Park named for Ike & Tina Turner. Some outsiders claim that it was named for Ted Turner but that's a lot of hooey (tee hee). I just saw the Midtown site and the park is still there. Whew. I was worried it might be bulldozed in the name of insurance.

Say, who WAS the Turner that got the park named after him or her?

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Looking for a hotel East of 40th Street

P.S. And don't anybody dare say Turner & Hooch. That notion was put forth by an extremist cult.

Get answers to your questions about Omaha
Recent Conversations