We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries/supplies

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Groceries/supplies

Can anyone give me the name of a reasonable grocery store in Anchorage?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries/supplies

There are several great Fred Meyers, numerous Carrs-Safeways & Super WalMart.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries/supplies

Safeway/CARRS, Fred Meyer(Kroger Supermarkets), Target, Walmart, Sam's Club and Costco are all in Anchorage.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries/supplies

I prefer Fred's for the basic groceries, and stock up at Sam's - but realize that food costs are going to be much higher up here than where you live. You might look at prices on line so you will be a bit more prepared for sticker shock. :)

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries/supplies

Yup, a 12 pack of soda in Girdwood was almost $10..

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries/supplies

You'll want to stock up in Anchorage or Wasilla. As you move out from there, prices will go up.

Here's the links for Carrs & Freddies (use the zip 99501 for finding the local ad):

http://www.carrsqc.com/IFL/Grocery/Home

http://www.fredmeyer.com/Pages/default.aspx

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries/supplies

if you're heading north first, Wasilla is a great place to stock up on supplies. I don't recall seeing a costco, but there was a superwalmart, safeway and fred meyer. The stores are just off the hwy so it's easy access in and out. Plus it gets you out of town and on the road.

If you have a club card, Safeway/Carrs and Fred Meyers have gas pumps at most locations. The club card gets you the lower grocery prices plus a discount at the pump.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries/supplies

>>Yup, a 12 pack of soda in Girdwood was almost $10..

This is cheaper in Anchorage or Wasilla than Girdwood.

There is a 2-3% city tax in Wasilla that you avoid if buying in Anchorage (I buy in Anchorage if convenient, but don't fret over the Wasilla tax).

When I buy groceries in Anchorage or Fairbanks, I find that I consistently spend about $10/person/day and eat very well - chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, spaghetti, etc. for dinner, sandwiches with lunch meat for lunch, and a simple breakfast. Includes some fruit and vegetables as well. The $10/day also includes snacks and staples like paper towels.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 18:40
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries/supplies

If you do want to stop on your way north with easy in and out access and no tax, try the Fred Meyer in Eagle River. They have gas and are directly off the Glenn Highway off the North Eagle River exit.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries/supplies

All of the above are good choices. I particularly liked the Fred Meyers in anchorage. It's owned by the same company as our Kroger stores here in Houston, so our discount card works for merchandise and gas. Also have used the Fred Meyers stores in Washington and Oregon.

The fresh fruit and vegetables at Fred Meyers in Anchorage probably run 20 to 30% more than here in Houston, but the variety and quality is excellent.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries/supplies

Hi, you don't say if you will have a car or where you are staying or heading. If you are leaving Anchorage headed north, the Eagle River Fred Meyer is very handy - just exit at the North Eagle River exit (past the Eagle River exit another mile or so), turn right at the end of the ramp, go straight at the light and you're there! If you are headed south, you can easily stop at either Carr's (now Carr's Safeway) or Fred Meyer.

It would help to know if you have a car and where you are headed and your starting point! There are two Costco's and two Sam's in Anchorage as well as Sujper Walmart's.