We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Seat?

2 posts
Save Topic
Car Seat?

I am traveling to Alaska with a toddler and meeting another family there. We are getting an RV. Should I bring my car seat or buy on arrival? Can I skip the car seat all together? (I'm not trying to be reckless, but it's me - a 5' tall woman, a 2 year old, a stroller, and bags alone in the airport. I'm not sure how I will carry the car seat)

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Seat?

A car seat is required by law: www.carseatsak.org/Links/index.cfm…

Maybe arrange in advance with your airline for a porter to be available to assist you.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Seat?

If the rental car place is pricey to rent from, consider buying a cheapo one at Walmart or Sam's club (if you're a member). For us, AVIS said it would cost $13 per day, for a total of $140 to rent one. They said it would be cheaper to go buy one. Our son is 4 1/2 so it would have been a booster seat so we were reckless and went without one. I know- not good. For a 2 year old, I would either buy one or rent one for sure, or bring yours if you can.

Alaska
Level Contributor
542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Seat?

Legally, you're not supposed to skip a car seat at that age, but that being said I have no idea how one installs a car seat in an RV. Most install these days with that Latch system, or with seat belts, but are these available in seats in an RV? I don't know. I would definitely contact the RV place you're renting from and see what they say: perhaps you can rent one from them.

Also, don't forget that EVERYTHING is more expensive up here in Alaska than wherever you're writing from, so bringing your own may economically make more sense.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Seat?

Yeah - the RV thing is really why I'm asking. If I was renting a car, I know I would need one; but in real life, people don't generally strap in while riding in an RV. My 2 year old isn't going to comply with that if no one else is.

Maybe I'll look up the model on the manufacturer's website.

Reply to: Car Seat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted