We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent help needed to choose hotel

Marlow
Level Contributor
237 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent help needed to choose hotel

Hi folks,

I would really welcome some advice on finding a hotel for our 1 night in Anchorage.

We have just booked a last minute cruise holiday which departs from Seward on the 5th July. We arrive in Anchorage reasonably early on the 4th so only have 1 night but keep changing my mind about what we need!

At first my criteria was an airport shuttle and to be close to the railroad as we will (probably as that's our preferred option!) be taking the train to Seward early on the 5th. The alternative to the train is the bus which departs from near the Egan centre. So I'm definitely looking at downtown locations. And we want to see a little bit of Anchorage in the short time we have so that seems to make sense.

I was thinking of the Comfort Inn at Ship Creek but then read that you get train noise all through the night. Although it will be 4th July, we'll be in bed early due to the time difference (9 hours!!) and exhaustion from travelling. So I was then looking at hotels that aren't too far from the train and have shuttles to the station. And then I read about traffic noise as well!!

Can someone who knows Anchorage well please advise us on this?

The hotels which fit into the right price range are Comfort Inn (as above), Guesthouse Inn, Clarion and Quality suites, Ramada, Aviator and willing to consider anything in a similar price range.

All advice appreciated! But needs to be quick!! We only have just over a week to sort this out!

9 replies to this topic
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

I would bring ear plugs and stay at The Comfort Inn. The train doesn't run all night and you might hear some railyard noise but anywhere downtown is going to be noisy with street noise and traffic. You will be on the early train so that won't wake you either. Ask for a room at the north end or book a room facing the creek but at this short notice they may not be able to accommodate your requests. The Hilton, Captain Cook or Sheraton might be an exception if you are on higher floors. Midtown will have fireworks around midnight so that might not be so great either.

New York
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

I'd first verify there is availability on the Alaska RR? The Comfort Inn is also available? I agree the noise isn't constant. But stay anywhere that suits you. I happen to like the Quality Inn as well.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

Ditto on ear plugs.

I use an eye mask too.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

We like the Clarion Suites. Or also close to the rail depot is the Anchorage Grand. http://www.anchoragegrand.com/

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn - Ship Creek and the trains never bothered me. Any accommodations in the summer are expensive in Anchorage.

Edited: 23 June 2017, 17:03
Marlow
Level Contributor
237 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

Thank you everyone!,

Comfort Inn it is! - yes, they do have availability and we CAN get a booking on the train!

Just one more question....is Goldstar on the train worth the extra? Bearing in mind it will be early morning so we won't be wanting an alcoholic drink. And we CAN have breakfast at the Comfort Inn.

Thanks again

New York
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

I've always done Adventure Class and enjoyed in immensely. I'd suggest, "moving" to superior viewing, depending on your seat assignment. Leaving Anchorage- have right side views, after Portage, left side views.

In Adventure class, there are open vestibules, and a dome car. It does have a 20 minute time limit, but, in my cases, frequently there was nobody waiting so I simply moved my seat and remained there.

ANCHORAGE
Level Contributor
5 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

Clarion is a short walk and in a much quieter place...the Anchorage Park strip is right behind. The Comfort Inn is not only in the noisiest part of town, it also borders on where it starts getting seedy. Aviator is barely hanging on, also noisy right next to Comfort Inn. btw: airbnb or a regular BnB easily the cheapest way to stay in Anchorage in summer...about 1/4 the cost of a hotel.

Edited: 24 June 2017, 18:30
Marlow
Level Contributor
237 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent help needed to choose hotel

Thank you,

I would normally look out for a B & B rather than a rather impersonal chain hotel but on this occasion we may arrive late at night (or even early in the morning!) as we're travelling sub-load so don't know which flight we'll be on, and I figure that it's easier (and more considerate) to have a hotel with a 24 hour reception rather than turn up somewhere either very early or very late!

With regard to the seats on the train, is there any way to choose right hand or left hand seats or is it just a matter of 'luck' which ones we're assigned?

Reply to: Urgent help needed to choose hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted