We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward to Denali (and Anchorage afterward)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seward to Denali (and Anchorage afterward)

We have a 7 day northbound RC cruise that sets sail June 1st, 2018 from Vancouver and ends in Seward. We'd like to spend a couple days in Denali after the cruise (myself, husband, and two children 9 and 5 at time of sailing). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ways to get to Denali are as follows:

Train (must overnight in Anchorage)

Car rental

Bus

What are your recommendations for transportation there and later back to Anchorage? (Where I assume is where we'd fly back home.) I'm a little confused how it works, and looked through some threads, but most of them deal with driving from Anchorage to Seward. For example, one of my questions is that I read once you get to Denali, although a car would open up other possible lodging sites for you, you have nothing to do with your rental once you get there. I know there are motorcoaches/tours that take you through the park and various excursions, but could you not leave it at your lodging? (From what I read, you can't drive very far into the park - mile 15 I think, and maybe that's what they meant?)

Also, do you have any lodgings to recommend? I've heard of Princess Lodge, but that's it. And it seems to have mixed reviews. I looked at the map, and it looks like it's on the outside of the official "park" (makes sense) so not sure if that's one of the places you can actually drive to or not. Whether we did the full road or not (it was recommended perhaps not due to the childrens' ages), would you suggest flying out of the park? It seemed quite a timesaver. I've got a hundred tabs open doing research and if I can get the generalities down, I can start picking excursions and vendors - the fun part. :)

Edited: 09 June 2017, 03:20
21 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Seward to Denali (and Anchorage afterward)

Oops, I should read more than just the previous post when replying!

Reply to: Seward to Denali (and Anchorage afterward)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted