We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit to Seattle from Oz

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit to Seattle from Oz

Well we will be leaving very warm, sunny Melbourne for the U.S and Seattle in March. We have done a few winter trips so don't expect too much time acclimatizing and actually looking forward to some cold weather. My wife and I are going to try some U.S skiing at Park City after 6 days in San Francisco before heading to meet my sister in Seattle for 3 days. My sister flies in a week after us and we are looking for a few cool activities for the 3 of us. I know the weather could be sunny or raining and cold....temps look much like the coldest part of our Melbourne winter.

We have booked the underground tour and also a food tour that are recommended on TA but would like a few tips on any of the following and if they are dependent on weather.

-ferry ride. want to get out on the water unless too rough so can anyone suggest the best cruise...maybe with a cafe or similar at the other end to look back at Seattle?

-Massage or hot spa locations if we have pulled up a bit sore from skiing (very likely)

-One good evening eating location, doesn't need to be too fancy, just something that might be a bit out of the ordinary and

-we will probably go to a show in San Fran and in NYC...are there any good shows on in Seattle?

Thanks in advance for any help. Feel free to give any other March tips if we seem to be missing anything. We are staying at the Seattle Suites in Hubbell Place which I believe is within walking distance of most things.

One other question. Besides walking we will probably have one or two shortish runs whilst there....bit older now so we don't run very long distances....but wondering if there are any iconic running tracks somewhere close to where we are staying.

Will

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

Welcome to the Emerald City Will!

You sound like you have a wonderful trip planned. Seattle, SF, NYC, and Park City! Fun! Some of my favorite places. Let me know if you need any info about Park City skiing.

Seattle is definitely a "theater" city, and has several options. In fact, in recent years we have become frequently become the pre-Broadway, testing ground. (Shrek, Hairspray, The Wedding Singer, etc). We have a very active and lively, theater, dance, music, and arts culture. For theater, you will find a combination of touring companies, and local, original theater. When you are here in March, there is a new musical at the 5th Avenue "First Date", beginning March 10. Also, depending on your actual dates, there is "I am my own Wife","Red" and "Or," at the Seattle Rep, Mama Mia at the Paramount, to name a few.

A good option is to check the arts calendar at the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau.

www.visitseattle.org/Visitors/Events.aspx

or the Seattle Weekly:

seattleweekly.com/2009-02-18/…

The ferries run regularly, independent of the weather. The Bainbridge ferry just crosses Elliott Bay, it is not really rough, as it is more or less protected. Taking the ferry to Bainbridge is primarily for the "views" and experience. Once to Bainbridge you can walk the 2 blocks to town, and there are restaurants to enjoy - but note it is a mainly a suburb of Seattle.

Remarkably, most of the spas I favor are not in downtown Seattle. There are some adequate ones, I can recommend, but truly, if you want a good post-ski rubdown, I would choose something in Park City.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

On of my favorite runs is along the waterfront, past the Seattle Sculpture Park to Myrtle Edwards Park. Views are great, and it is flat :-) However, that location is several blocks from your hotel. But...if you are heading toward the waterfront anyway, it is a good option.

If you want another fun "tour" option, take a look at City Running Tours.

http://www.cityrunningtours.com/seattle.html

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

>>...Massage or hot spa locations if we have pulled up a bit sore from skiing (very likely)...<<

You might try the spa at the Salish Lodge at Snoqualmie Falls for a twofer - a great spa experience plus a very impressive waterfall - which ought to be very high with runoff water around then. Around 35 min. from downtown Seattle (and also around 40 min. from decent skiing at Snoqualmie Pass). http://www.salishlodge.com/

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

The Bainbridge Ferry is virtually never rough. I have been commuting on it 5 days a week for years. Even when i is stormy with high windsyou can barely feel the waves due to the protected waters and the size and shape of the giant ferries. There are no restaurants on the other side with real views. Write me before you come and I can give you directions to a good restaurant that I actually ate at last night. It is an easy walk and overlooks a marina. The ferry to Bremerton is a longer ride and goes through Rich Passage, but I would much rather get off and eat on Bainbridge, as opposed to Bremerton. Hopefully you do know March can be a cool and wet month. Today in Seattle happens to be fabulous. Sunny and mild. One never knows

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

glaciermeadow Melbourne is infamous for having 4 seasons in one day, so we are right in our element with Seattle weather. I am probably known at home to be a bit of a weather "crank" but as I explain to my wife it (the weather) has paid back my interest with some great trips weather wise, so I am expecting little rain, sunny breaks and brisk no wind days :-) I have heard of the Bainbridge ferry and that sounds perfect for us.

Islandgirl, I will pm you re. Park City as any good ski info would be great. Thanks for the theatre and run info. We will do both for sure. I am happy these days to run/walk, so we could do a combo walk and run down to the waterfront and then run along there. Will be interesting to be back in the cold, we are about to take our two boxers for a run this morning at 0830 and it is already very warm.....have to get out early before the snakes wake up :-)

ibgardyloo....thanks for the spa and waterfall tip. Will do some research today and check out the theatre shows mentioned and the spa.

Hope it has stayed sunny and mild for you all day and thanks everyone for the input. Will

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

Will -

The spa at the Salish Lodge is lovely, one of the best in the area, but you do need a car to get there. It is about 30 minutes from downtown. If that sounds like an option, then a good thing to do would be rent a car from a downtown agency, then do a loop tour, perhaps visiting Snoqualmie Falls, the Salish Lodge, then drive north through the Carnation Valley to the Woodinville Wine Country. The Salish Lodge has wonderful food, also are known for their breakfasts. Or, with that option, you could also consider the Willows Lodge in Woddinville also has a small, but very nice spa. Excellent restaurants at the Willows (Barking Frog) and the uber expensive, but incredible Herbfarm,

For a spa downtown, you might want to consider Ummelina, Spa Nordstrom or the Spa at the Four Seasons. Do you know where you are staying in Seattle?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

Seattle Suites in Hubbell Place....http://www.seattlesuite.com/

Will keep those short trip options on our planner and see how the weather is panning out. We only have 3 full days, so looking to have a few options and then work with the weather and how we are feeling. We do have a spa in our hotel at Park City, so we might be super refreshed and just a bit sore from the skiing and can walk that out :-)

One other question has sprung to mind mentioning 3 full days. Our last day is the day we fly out to New York and we are doing an overnight flight on JetBlue. Anyone have any tips on this trip as we will leave Seattle around 11pm and arrive in NYC about 0530. Sounds like an afternoon nap will be needed in New York.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

>> Our last day is the day we fly out to New York and we are doing an overnight flight on JetBlue. Anyone have any tips on this trip as we will leave Seattle around 11pm and arrive in NYC about 0530. Sounds like an afternoon nap will be needed in New York. <<

If you're staying in a Manhattan hotel you need to check to see how early they'll let you occupy your room. This time of year because of the location of the jetstream, transcon flights are very quick - last week we were collecting our luggage at Newark airport half an hour before we were scheduled to land. If you're due to land at 0530, and assuming a less than full flight, you could easily find yourselves standing at the hotel check-in desk at 0630 or 0700, only to be told to come back around 4 PM for your room. Frankly we hate the red-eyes for that reason. In March NYC can be very inhospitable outdoors at oh-dark-thirty.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

We did factor that in but there weren't a lot of other options. We have spoken to the hotel and they will check us in as early as possible but as long as we can park the bags we will be cool. I got a NYC helicopter ride for Xmas, so doing that on the first day after we park the bags. Once again hoping the weather will be friendly to us. We do have experience with a red eye flight as the Perth to Melbourne flight is called. I am not expecting more than 3 or 4 hours sleep but we will catch up....surely New York will keep us awake :-)

In the positive it does save one nights accomodation....not sure if it is worth it but I will include that in a TR. At least we hear good things about JetBlue with comfortable seats and good leg room which is handy for me being tall.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visit to Seattle from Oz

March

11.4. Av temps

8.92. Av rainfall

Just looked at Melbourne's av temps and the closest we have is average of 13C in July which is our coldest month. So a little colder than what we get here but the big factor in Melbourne is the wind chill. The southerly wind comes all the way from the South Pole and can make a 13C day feel much colder than it is. Does Seattle get a lot of cold wind off the water or from up north?