We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

My family is planning to visit Seattle for a week in July. It will be our first time so we are very green as to what types of family activities are available. We have two teenage daughters (20 & 16), one is a mall girl while the other enjoys nature. I, on the other hand, have wanted to visit Seattle since 1995 and want to make the most of his trip! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Quick note. Take your nature loving daughter to Mt. Rainier National Park for the day. Incredible National Park that is easy to visit and drive. Go mid week when it is less crowded. Get an early start one day. Also ride the ferry to Bainbridge and back. Beautiful at night with Seattle all lit up, but also fun on a sunny day. Sit up top on the sundeck and avoid commuter times. Another thing your nature loving daughter would love is a whale watching cruise for Orcas in the San Juans. Different options for that. If you have a whole week I would consider one or two nites outside of Seattle as the Puget Sound has so many wonderful places to visit outside of the city if you are willing to rent a car. Port Townsend and whale watching, Whidbey Island and Deception Pass, overnite La conner or Anacortes a daytrip to San Juan Islands for great ferry ride and whalwatching.

Level Contributor
33,936 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Seattle is a beautiful city with lots to see and do! Pike Place Market, The Space Needel, the waterfront, a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island and the Ride the Ducks Tour are all fun things to do while visiting. A week is a nice amount of fime, you may even want to consider taking the ferry over to Whidbey Island. The ride is gorgeous and the island is very serene and peaceful. I hope you have a great time! :)

Podgorica...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

For the Mall loving daughter... Go to South Center Mall or the Outlets out by Tulalip. BEST shopping places in Seattle! Also, Pike place has alot of nifty little stalls and shops tucked away with interesting things to buy!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

if you have a car then advise will be different. The premium outlet mall is what is mentioned which is north of Seattle about 25 miles or so. Southcenter and also Bellevue Square are well known for 'shopping', however its not much different than most of the huge malls you have around Scottsdale and environs. The Pike Place Mkt is very unique in the world as its almost all hand made and local vendors, no chain stores.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Thanks for the advice! I look forward to visiting this summer.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Hi!

Depends on what you mean by "mall girl"...if you literally mean mall then there is a series of linked malls/department stores downtown along the Pine street corridor (Macy's, Westlake Mall, Nordstroms, Pacific Place Mall).

If you mean more broadly clothes shopping, that same area is ground zero for walking around clothes shopping...everything from Betsey Johnson to Eileen Fisher to independent shops like Sway and Cake. You'll also find shops as you walk along 1st Ave between Pike Place and Pioneer Square.

If you mean even more broadly shopping, then nothing beats exploring the labyrinthine Pike Place Market shops!

BTW, July will be a nice reprieve from the Phoenix heat! I'm a New Mexico Native, here 18 years now, and I've never quite warmed up :) .

-K

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Downtown shopping is great, but if you have a "mall girl" by far the best mall/shopping experience in the area is Bellevue, with Bellevue Square/the Bellevue Collection (Nordstrom, Macy's, Madewell, Lucky, 7 for All Mankind, J Crew, True Religion, Lululemon, etc) and the Bravern (Neiman Marcus, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vitton, Anthropologie, etc). Plenty of restaurants and entertainment venues too.

http://bellevuesquare.com/

http://thebravern.com

Another option, good with the ages of your girls, is just north of downtown is to head toward the University of Washington. The campus is beautiful to visit, and close by is University Village, an outdoor , nontraditional shopping mall, with Anthropologie, H & M, Free People, Juicy, J Crew, Madewell, Lululemon, Kiehls, etc. Very good restaurants and popular with University students.

http://www.uvillage.com/

Of course the Seattle Premium outlets are always popular with young women, but your outlet shopping in the Phoenix area is just as good, if not better, so I would choose one of the other options instead.

Salem, Oregon...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

There are a lot of sites to see in Seattle. I would definetly suggest going to Pike's Market. There are many local vendors and very cool things to find. If your kids are into museums the EMP (experience music project) is a very fun place. Also, the Argosey harbor cruise was alot of fun. If you have a few days, the Seattle city pass is a great investment. Good luck and have fun!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

Thanks Islandgirl and jrios10! I am eager to visit your beautiful city and state...in the summer! Lol! I noticed you all got a bit of snow and ice recently. Having grown up in New England I am too familiar with that white stuff! I really do appreciate your suggestions and information.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking to visit Seattle for the first time!

No problem!

With your "nature girl" in mind, I also wanted to mention that you might want to add kayaking to your list. Right in the city, you have several options. Head over to Lake Union. One of my favorite things to do is to kayak from Agua Verde Paddle Club. You can join a tour or paddle on your own. Enjoying Seattle from the water is a perfect active experience with young adults. On Lake Union, it's an urban paddle, and you can float between the houseboats while seaplanes take off overhead, with wonderful views of the skyline beyond. Think "Sleepless in Seattle". Or head over to the Arboretum and the water trails. After your paddle, grab a bite at the Agua Verde Cafe. It's fun, unique, and so Seattle. http://www.aguaverde.com

The general public can rent canoes to explore the Arboretum from the U of Washington Waterfront Activities Center, very inexpensive. …washington.edu/ima/IMA_wac.php#wac_canoe

Or, take the water taxi from the downtown waterfront over to Alki Beach/West Seattle, and check out Alki Beach. You can walk along the boardwalk, explore tide pools and sea creatures, grab a bite to eat. Rent a kayak or take a tour with Alki Kayak Tours where you can kayak in salt water on Elliott Bay. Gorgeous views back to Seattle. Alki Tours also has very popular SUP (Stand Up Paddle board) instruction and tours. Either way, it is a great way to explore and see the wildlife in Elliott Bay. In July it stays light here well into the evening, and Alki Tours has a sunset tour that starts at 7:30.

http://kayakalki.com/