We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping

chicago
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
shopping

looking for upscale and/or interesting independent shops, particularly in fashion, home design, jewelry, crafts, etc.

something unique to seattle.

thanks.

Northwest
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping

Hmmm.....not really my forte, but I know the two areas of town to be looking in.

Pike Place Market and the area around will have a lot of local artisans selling everything from clothing & jewelry to kid's toys.

Belltown will have scattered local fashion boutiques up and down First Ave.

The shopping district is primarily Metropolitan Seattle; the Westlake district to be precise. Most of the shops there will be corporate department stores (Your Banana Republics and Tiffany's, etc.etc.)

Seattle
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping

Hard to know what you're looking for. But here are a few suggestions:

Fashion -- Baby & Co., Luly Yang

Furniture -- Northwest Fine Woodworking, McKinnon Furniture, Urban Hardwoods'

Glass Art -- Seattle Glassblowing Studio, Edge of Glass Fine Art Glass Gallery & Hotshop, Seattle Art Glass, Avalon Glassworks, and Dale Chihuly seemingly everywhere

Northwest Indian Art - Seattle Art Museum, Steinbrueck Native Gallery, Stonington Gallery, etc.

Jewelry -- Facere Jewelry Art Gallery

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping

I consistently find great local arts and crafts at Venue in Ballard...an artist studio and showcase shop with dozens of local artists. www.venueballard.com/. That spacious mini-mall on 22nd Ave. North is about a block away from Ballard Ave. NW that has tons of local boutiques, home stores and eateries. I particularly like Camelion Design and Ballard Home Comforts for the home, Clover for a gorgeous handpicked selection of toys, Horseshoe, Kavu, and Ketch for Clothes, and La Tienda on NW Market St. has been around for decades (formerly in the UDistrict) and has an amazing selection of imported items from around the world. The Secret Garden also on Market is my favorite bookstore in Seattle these days. A lovingly picked selection of the best of the best in fiction, non-fiction and their namesake children's books. I always find something new and unique there. nwsource.com/shopping/…ballard.html In Downtown Seattle, no trip is complete without a stop at Watson Kennedy with several locations www.watsonkennedy.com/ Their buyer has a very whimsical eye for unique items and lovely smelling soaps, lotions, etc. While not stocked exclusively with local items, Fireworks Gallery downtown at Westlake Center or at SeaTac Airport is also a must see for unique gift items and jewelry. They got their start in 1983 representing local artists and are still going strong. Also, the Northwest Craft Center and Gallery at Seattle Center is marvelous for pottery since opening in 1963. I've often hand carried items from this shop home on the plane. I had heard they were losing their lease, but they seem to still be on the Seattle Center website...anyone know the latest?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping

Welcome to Seattle. Like Chicago, Seattle is known for it''s many unique and interesting neighborhoods that offer terrific local shopping and restaurants. You have been given some very good suggestions. I have a couple additions to the above.

For example downtown, Belltown (northern part of downtown core), Capitol Hill (east of downtown), Pioneer Square (southern part of downtown) and South Lake Union are all worth exploring. Further beyond downtown, Ballard, particularly Old Ballard and Fremont, have a wonderful mix of unique shops, but will require a cab or bus to get there. If I had much of a day, that would be my pick. Tuesdays in Ballard is always fun. http://inballard.com/

A little bit closer to downtown, The South Lake Union area is booming, and trending toward some wonderful shops. One of my favorites, Seva Home is in the Whole Foods Complex, and there is a nice block of shops across from the #1 REI store.

Or head down Madison toward the Madison Park neighborhood for several high-end shops. If you have time, that would be my pick. For an outdoor/European style shopping mall I like University Village (near the University of Washington), with major chain stores, but U Village continues to maintain a nice mix of local shops. http://www.uvillage.com/

If you want to stay downtown, you will find a retail mix of chain and independent stores. Best designer and independent shopping is found along 1st and 2nd in the Belltown area. Some wonderful shoe stores too.

http://www.belltown.org/

To add to the list:

Next to the main Nordstrom, don't miss Sway and Cake.

Ian on 2nd

Karan Dannenberg on 1st

Head down toward Western (Below the Pike Place Market) for furniture and home design speciality stores.

And lastly, I always recommend stopping in the Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom's Outlet) on 1st. Because of their proximity to the #1 Nordstrom store, the downtown rack always has a healthy selection of designer items deeply discounted - though you have to be up for the hunt.

Edited: 19 July 2011, 19:01
Seattle
Level Contributor
44,243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping

I was out walking from my office today at lunch and thought of this post. There are ALL kinds of great shops in the downtown core. Start with the Pike Place Market itself. Then from there out along both 1st and 2nd Avenues going north and south both. And scattered inland around the department store area (Macy's, Nordstrom, Pacific Place mall, Westlake Center mall). Tons to choose from.

suze

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping

For jewelry & crafts you can't beat the Pike Place Market - especially the stalls in the open air market on Pike Place between Pike Street & Virginia Street (water side of the street).

Several upscale/boutique clothing, home shops, art galleries on 1st Avenue heading towards Pioneer Square:

de Medici Ming Fine Paper

The Finerie (men's & women's clothing)

Ragazzi's Flying Shuttle (women's clothing)

Fireworks Gallery (art, crafts, jewelry)

Synapse 206 (women's clothing)

Many upscale furniture/home stores along Western Avenue:

Masin's Fine Furniture (Pioneer Square)

Roche Bobois

McKinnon's Furniture

Couch

Kasala Furniture

Too many art galleries & rug shops to mention downtown & Pioneer Square.

seattle
Level Contributor
187 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping

You don't really mention what kind of shopping you are looking for, but I second Island Girl's post. She listed the nieghorhoods where you are going to find the smaller independent shops and small bistro's etc. Stay away from Pioneer Place or Westlake Mall area if you are NOT looking for chains. Those places could be in any city in America (probably the world, almost) . Boring!

Neighborhoods like Fremont, Ballard and Capital Hill are my top suggestions outside of the downtown area. Closer to the city, I do love the area around Pike Place Market and Belltown, as well as Madison Park. Lots of cool places there to shop and eat.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,003 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping

I thought the OP was pretty clear in what she sought.

I think that Pioneer Square (Place?) has some unique shops and certainly galleries.

Pacific, not Pioneer, Place has many shops, perhaps some are unique; I'll leave that to people far more expert than me. :)

http://www.pacificplaceseattle.com/shops

9. Re: shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:17