We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

Hi

we are an Australian couple in our late 30's who will be visiting Seattle for the first time in March. Needing some advice on transport and what to do

Arrive from Vancouver on the Amtrak train on the 2 March at 10.00pm

The only plans we have is my husband will be attending Emerald City Comic Con on the 4-6 March and then we depart the morning of the 7 March

So we have 2.5 days to do stuff together and then I have 2.5 days to do something on my own.

For both of us I was thinking a tour of some sort - maybe a segway tour and a chocolate walking tour. I am also interested in seeing the most popular attractions (EG Space Needle)

For me I was thinking of Shopping - Not designer clothes

Would appreciate some help and advice on suggested tours and shopping venues.

What should we expect with the weather at this time

Also some advice on getting Transport from the Train Station to the Seattle Sheraton at 10.00pm and public transport from the hotel to the airport at about 7.00am on the 7 March

A little about us

My husband loves history, Music, sports, comic books, science fiction and is a gamer

For me I am interested in the destination - seeing the tourist attractions, reading, shopping (everyday and business clothes), cooking ( food)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,485 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

if you read FAQps on top right there is an article on one day itinerary without a car. The Sheraton is a great hotel and you'll be in the middle of everything. I work in Canada in summer and our prices will be very cheap in comparison. I'd take a cab from the train as its a short ride and it won't be much (8-10 dollars) at most. From Sheraton you can take light rail to airport for about $2.50 each or a shuttle for $12 each or cab for $32.

The one day itinerary will cover lots of the highlights. Our weather in march is likely to be rain. Most 'tours' don't operate till after may. There are various food and chocolate tours. One is from the chocolate box on 2nd and Pine. Ask the concierge at the sheraton.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

march will still be chilly and drizzle. spend time at Pike Place Market and Pioeer Square, both downtown. there is a cool little klondike national park in pioneer square. the underground tour is about seattles founding and early history. there are a couple of railroad museums/historic train rides in the area. downtown has a lot of shopping.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60878-d49…

Have you looked at "Things to Do", left hand column? There are several pages from which you might list your choices and we can comment. Some are better than others and uniquely Seattle, e.g., the Chittenden Locks, the Fremont Troll, ferry to Bainbridge Island, etc. You can walk on and off and visit, in a few blocks, the small town of BI, then re-board back to Seattle, Fabulous view of the city by day or by night. You won't need the schedule, pasted below, the runs are frequent.

Ferry Routes and Schedules, WA State Ferries (Beautiful views, ride at least one, perhaps Bainbridge Island).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

Regarding shopping -

Downtown you will find plenty, from local stores to national chains. While there certainly is designer merchandise to be had, as a rule, you will find the options more mainstream. Nordstrom Department store began in Seattle, known for it's shoe selection, and always worth a stop! Connected to Nordstom is the Pacific Place mall, which tried to skew toward the higher end with a Tiffany's and Barney's, but in reality, typical, with some unqiue mall stores with J Crew, Victoria's Secret, lulumon, etc. Good to pop into if it's raining outside. Also Westlake Center. The Nordstrom Rack is Nordstrom's off-price, discount store, located right above the market at 2nd & Pine. Good if you have time and want to wade through the racks for bargains - you'd find me burrowing through the shoes and purses if my husband was at a convention! Sometimes I walk away empty handed, though typically not! Macy's is the other department store downtown, always a sale going on, name brands. Make sure you go to customer service to get your visitor discount pass, usually another 10% off.

Other fun stores on 4th & 5th, including Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Sephora, Banana Republic, GAP, etc. You will have plenty to explore!

Don't forget the Pike Place Market has both local crafts, vendors and unique shops to explore.

On Sunday you might be interested in the Fremont Sunday Market, and eclectic mix of just about everything. www.fremontmarket.com/FremontWelcome.html

Snoqualmie...
Level Contributor
258 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

A couple other things to add to this list.

Your husband might really like EMP/SFM, given the affinity for science fiction and music http://www.empsfm.org/

For the time you have on your own, consider at trip to Elliott Bay Books and the REI Flagship store, maybe also explore south lake union if the weather is nice.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

Elliott Bay Books is now located in the heart of the Capitol Hill neighborhood where you will find an eclectic mix of shops, vintage and local. Terrific restaurants. It's a good neighborhood to explore. Some good record/music stores too.

http://www.elliottbaybook.com

REI too, is a good suggestion, featuring classic Northwest outdoor gear and more. Rock climbing their indoor "pinnacle" is a must for many (terrific view from the top). I like to shop, then grab a bite at World Wrapps on the 3rd floor. Also some nice, interesting shops in that neighborhood too.

I also wanted to mention some nice (free!) historical walking tours of various districts. Here is the link:

seattle.gov/TOUR/…default.htm

Because history is an area of interest, there are some notable musuems to consider. Both at/near the University of Washington:

MOHAI http://www.seattlehistory.org/

Burke Musuem of Natural History http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/

The Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union is a living history museum on Lake Union. Highly Recommended.

http://www.cwb.org/

7. Re: First Time in Seattle - Help needed for this Aussie couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 09:18