We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry route question !

tucson,az
Level Contributor
510 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
ferry route question !

We ( 2 adults, 2 older teens) travelling from AZ to Seattle end of July. Does this general plan make sense ?

Seattle -Wed, Thurs, Fri

ONP-Sat, Sun (staying in rental house in Port Angeles)

Mon - take Ferry to Victoria for the day then drive to Sidney and ferry to Anacortes arriving back at our rental in Seattle @ night

Tues-finish up in Seattle and leave Wed AM back to the desert...

We don't get much time on the water in dry AZ so I thought the ferry time would be relaxing . Thanks for your input!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry route question !

Seems like a good, relaxed, plan with one exception.

In Victoria, Butchart Gardens and the Royal Museum are must sees for all ages.

Advise reservations for the Coho Ferry.

Monday is too full given your arrival time and departure time. You cannot see Victoria that fast unless it's just meant to be a drive-by, with perhaps a few sights, then catching the ferry to Anacortes. According to the schedule, the ferry leaves at 5:55 PM, but you must arrive an hour or so ahead of that. So, I suggest an overnight in Victoria, and play tourist on the island.

www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/2010Summer.pdf

You can visit Nanaimo, BTW, and walk along the marina area; shops, dining, etc. Take the short ride to the island park?

Edited: 29 June 2010, 19:31
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry route question !

Before you read the following, make absolutely sure your daughter does not see this message. LOL

http://www.bungyzone.com/

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry route question !

Is your reason for going to Victoria really just to experience the ferries? As you have given yourself no time to really enjoy it. If seeng Victoria is not a priority the why not take a daytrip to Anacortes from Seattle and enjoy the ferry thru the San Juans and avoid the hassle of driving on. Also since you want to experience the water you could conider one night on or near the Ocean around Forks.

tucson,az
Level Contributor
510 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry route question !

thanks - I sort of figured Monday would be too rushed. My husband suggested Victoria and he also wants to spend time on the water. I would like to have all of Tues in Seattle so staying overnight in Victoria is out.

So is Victoria still out if we ferry over for the day without the car and then return to Port Angeles and drive back to Seattle in the evening ? OR...should we skip Victoria and drive to Anacortes and take the ferry around the San Juans for the day ?

Voyaging -that's hysterical !!! Fortunately,I decided I won't sign any bungy jumping waivers and she won't be 18 'til next year, so I'm (she's)safe this year ; )

5. Re: ferry route question !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 22:37
Edited: 29 June 2010, 22:37
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
714 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry route question !

If you want to go to Victoria for the day and take a ferry, try the Clipper from downtown seattle. Passenger only (no cars) high speed ferry, beautiful passage!

tucson,az
Level Contributor
510 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry route question !

appreciate your comments - still not sure what we'll do ; might have to miss Victoria again, we'll see how things go ...

8. Re: ferry route question !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 05:18