We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Madison
3 posts
Save Topic
One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

My husband, college age daughter and I are flying into Seattle at noon on Saturday, July 10. We are catching a cruise the next day. We are looking for a place to stay the night that would offer good food and entertainment within walking distance. It seems that the downtown hotels located in secure areas are full. It would be nice to find something near the water or some sort of scenic area. Maybe a B & B? We need to be active after that long plane ride. The cost of taxi transportation is a concern, so we don't want to travel too far from the airport / cruise terminal locations.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,746 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

I'm not sure what you mean about hotels located in "secure areas". Any central downtown Seattle hotel would be OK and safe.

Have you checked: the Mayflower Park, Warwick, Hotel Andra, Hotel Max, Sheraton, Westin, Roosevelt, Inn at El Gaucho, Edgewater?

There's just really not any B&B's on the water, within the city, near where the cruise ships dock. There are some on Capitol Hill that are nice and only a couple miles out of the way, in a treelined streets residential neighborhood, if you're determined to do something different than a downtown hotel (check out www.sbmansion.com as an example).

-suze

Madison
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Thanks for your reply. I was concerned about safe areas based on reviews that I have read concerning the location of some hotels and the experiences people have reported. I have lived in Houston and the Chicago area. There are bad areas in big cities, especially at night. I am finding that all of the downtown hotels are booked on the date that we will be there. That is why I was looking for an alternative. We are looking for a hotel that has something to see and do plus good food within walking distance. A short cab drive to such an area from a hotel is the next best thing. We don't need a fancy hotel. Clean and in good repair in a safe area is a priority. I checked the hotels you listed and found them to be booked like all the others I have tried. Need to think out side the box on this one.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Seeing as you are trying to book a room less than 2 weeks in advance, in downtown Seattle, in the summer, with 3 adults . . . you are right, most hotels are sold out. The only 2 options I could find downtown are the La Quinta Inn & Suites Downtown (around $200) or the Edgewater (around $500). Downtown Seattle is safe, as long as you're not wandering around after 2:00 am in Belltown.

If you want more options in a safe neighborhood, it's going to require a taxi or public transportation. Downtown Bellevue (across Lake Washington from Seattle) has more hotel availability, lots of shopping and restaurants, and is usually pretty hopping on a Saturday night.

Or, if you have any status with the larger hotel chains (e.g., Gold or Diamond with Hilton Honors), you can always try calling those hotels. They will usually accommodate preferred guests even if they show the rooms being sold out.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Hotel 1000 has a few rooms available and is slightly cheaper than the Edgewater at $400.

One of the areas that I would recommend avoiding would be hotels located on Aurora Avenue North (north of downtown), as they are frequented by drug dealers and people who only need a room for a few hours (hint).

Normally I would not suggest staying in Bellevue for a visit to Seattle, but unfortunately it may be your best bet at this point.

Madison
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Hey thanks. You were actually helpful.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Actually... one other idea. Are you opposed to staying in a hostel? I know it probably wouldn't be your first choice of lodging, but I did notice that the Green Tortoise has availability your night. It's located in Pike Place Market. The location is the best you can hope for, but the rooms will be like dormitories. The #1 rated hostel, City Hostel Seattle, also has availability on July 10 and actually looks more appealing. Great reviews on TA.

A hostel might be more palatable than spending $400 on a hotel room (or staying in Bellevue).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Downtown is pretty jammed.

I'd look at the Silver Cloud University - it's not downtown but in a nice area near the University of Washington and they have a shuttle service to downtown or other areas. There's a very nice up-market outdoor shopping center next door (University Village) and several good restaurants within a block or two. They appear to have space for your night. It's a qualify local chain - www.scinns.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,746 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Well Seattle is not like Chicago or Houston. There are not bad areas of downtown Seatle. The downtown core is made up mostly of retail, financial, commercial enterprises.

I think looking to surrounding areas like Bellevue, Kirkland, Remond, the University District are good ideas.

-suze

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
740 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

Try the hotels in the U district, like Hotel Deca. Then walk to Lucid for live music (Jazz) and to any one of a number of restaurants on the Ave for dinner. If the weather is nice try Agua Verde for the views.

10. Re: One night Stay for good food and entertainment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:17