We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the most popular excursion?

Which Skagway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California, U.S.
Level Contributor
123 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What is the most popular excursion?

We are going to Alaska Princess this early June and we are planning to take couple excursions and I would like to have some feedback from the previous travelers.

Rainforest Wildlife Sanctury in Ketchikan

Dog Sled trip

Have anyone try the Photo Safari by Land & Sea?

Should we do a Mendenhall Glacier tour?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

I'd think the "most popular" excursion in Ketchikan would be the WP&Y railway tours! (With renting a car and driving into the Yukon also being a popular choice) I strongly suggest that you look at the independent choices for your excursions. Those tours generally cost less, always have a smaller group, and usually see more.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

Whoops!! I meant most popular tour in Skagway of course, since that's the forum where this was posted.

New York
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

The "Rainforest" tour in Ketchikan is so so at best. Do not expect any wildlife and it's a very costly "walk in the woods", which is available all over Alaska for free. :) Glacier Dog sledding is consistantly raved about, it also is the most canceled. Always have back up plans. For clairfication you do not drive your own sled. two are hooked together with a driver. You either ride in the basket or at the breaks. The cart rides are costly for what you get, but again, many people enjoy them

You don't need a Mendenhall Glacier "tour". I'll assume this is a ship tour?? If you want a "tour", that includes a drive by city tour of Juneau and several stops, purchase this at the dock for about 1/2 the price of the ship tours. MGT does an excellent job with theirs for about $25. There also will be shuttle buses for $13 round trip back and forth to Mendenhall. Small admission charge if you want to go in the vistor center.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

When I was in Skagway, I did the WP&Y railway tour and it was great. I also did a glacier tour with Skagway Air and it, too, was awesome.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

I have not done but have heard good things about the Photo Safari. That can be booked through the cruise ship or directly through Gastineau Guiding:

stepintoalaska.com/…

Harv and Marv's also does a photo tour.

I agree that you can get to Mendenhall on your own. The shuttle for $13 are very efficient but expect a wait of maybe 1/2 hour on the return. I had none last summer but I heard there can be a wait - so don't cut it too close to return for your ship's departure.

John

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

Sadly, Skagway Air ceased operations last year after many years of service. We miss them much!

There is a guy out of Haines who has filled in their unique type of flightseeing tour over Glacier Bay and return. He has been flying for many years and I just had a brain block on his company name so I may have to look it up or maybe mom bear knows that one? DD

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

No, you do not need a "tour" of Mendenhall. The MGT (Mendenhall Glacier Transit) will take you there, tight to the parking lot. When we were there it was $6, and the driver gave us all kinds of interesting information. The shuttle for the tour looks like the MGT one, so don't get confused. Catch in front of the library by the Mount Robers tram.

The White Pass and Yukon railway trip shold not be missed. See if you can arrange one that brings you back down by shuttle, because you will be on the other side of the canyon and can see where you have been.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

We did Harv and Marv's and the van driver (father of Harv) took us to Mendenhal Glacier on our way back from Auke Bay where we picked up the boat. He also took us through Juneau and pointed out highlights (Governor's mansion, etc) on our way to the boat. Best money spent in Juneau and we are planning on going back next year and have them take us on a private jaunt. Great tour!

9. Re: What is the most popular excursion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 13:18