We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best helicopter experience for the money?

Level Contributor
408 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Best helicopter experience for the money?

Wondering what everyones thoughts are as far as the choices on trips. Should I go for the longer one (1.45min) or do the shorter one fire and water type one( 45min)? I was looking at Blue Hawaiian and Sunshine would appreciate any suggestions on either of those.

8 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

Is your only option to do it out of the west side or will you be on the east side at all? It's much cheaper from there if all you want to do is see Kilauea, and it's shorter. But they don't do the large loop all the way up to Waipio like Blue Hawaiian does.

Truthfully all of the companies here are reputable and safe. I find the longer tours too long, but I tend to get motion sickness. I have a preference for Blue Hawaiian.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

The shorter one goes out of Hilo, right? It is a very good tour, and as much as I love the long one, I agree that it can be *too* long for some folks. I've flown Sunshine and Blue Hawaiian both, and like them both!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

Blue Hawaiian also does a 50 minute one from the west side that is just the north side and doesn't include VNP. Kohala Coast Adventure or something like that, even though it's mainly over Hamakua, lol.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

Yep, but since the OP mentioned "fire and water", I assumed he meant the Hilo one.......maybe not?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

Yeah, hard to know. He posted in the Kailua Kona forum and is staying in Waikoloa Beach. But a lot of people do drive over to Hilo for the helo tours as they're much cheaper.

Level Contributor
408 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

yes, I am staying at Kings Iand and will have a car. I don't mind driving to hilo if needed. just wasn't sure if the longer one was worth it or will the landscape be about the same? Thanks, Kelly~

Edited: 13 March 2017, 22:38
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

No, the landscape won't be the same. It's completely different between Kilauea and, for instance, the Hamakua coast.

Do bear in mind it's a good 5 hours roundtrip to the Hilo airport depending on time of day.

Level Contributor
408 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best helicopter experience for the money?

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Reply to: Best helicopter experience for the money?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona