We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch on coffee tour?

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch on coffee tour?

We arrive into Kona airport around 11:30 and are then planning to go to some coffee plantations before heading north to the Mauna Lani for a few days. Any suggestions for where to get a relatively quick, fun, first meal in Hawaii? Is there anywhere to eat on Rte.190, or should we go into town? I always love dining with a view of the ocean, BTW! Thank you!

15 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lunch on coffee tour?

We're talking about Highway 180, which is the road the coffee farms you mentioned are located on.

The fact that you have a scant two nights, and one full day, at Mauna Lani is why I suggested you just head there upon arrival. Believe me, I understand not being a resort person. I haven't stayed at ML myself and have yet to explore the grounds, but I hear from others it has much to offer that isn't necessarily "resort-like" in nature.

Aside from that, though, there's an array of splendors on the Kohala coast. From your Mauna Lani base you can drive to Hawi & the Pololu Valley in North Kohala, for example. You can explore the other-worldly landscape toward Mauna Kea and the lush ranch land around Waimea. And of course, you can appreciate the beaches, some of which are vastly different from what you'll experience on Kauia.

~ Colleen

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lunch on coffee tour?

I was talking about a few different roads that make the route, so I'm not sure which road you're asking the name of. The road where there are more accidents is 190 (not 180). 180 is very slow and winding. 190 is where people drive fast and pass unsafely.

Re your plan, I wouldn't consider doing that, but it's your trip.

btw, Hilo Coffee Mill has coffee farm tours in Mountainview, which you pass on the way to Volcano.

You have almost no time to explore the Kohala Coast, and are paying the somewhat premium cost of staying there. The trip you are contemplating isn't that short, especially the longer drive to the Mauna Lani. Kai'iminani is a steep road, which climbs roughly 1500 feet.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lunch on coffee tour?

Greenwell family have grown coffee over 100 years and do a great tour. Right off the main highway between mm 111 and 112.

Do what you want.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lunch on coffee tour?

Only two nights at the Mauna Lani? That's somewhat of a travesty although I'm not sure what the rest of your plan looks like. But regardless, I would not want to waste one minute of that time anywhere else, especially driving in vogville through traffic to go to a coffee farm. The Mauna Lani is not a "resort" like you may be thinking. But as the others have said, it's your trip.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lunch on coffee tour?

True. I also know what I would do with that time, but I'm not you.

It sounds like you booked the hotel and not a condo? If so, you don't have to wait for check-in. You have time to get some fun in at the hotel while they hold your bags, and if the room is ready, they'll give it to you.

I love coffee, and I've had a coffee tree or two, but I've never had any interest in a coffee farm tour. Probably a deficiency on my part. Also I'm not from an urban area, which could make a difference.

Have fun!

Reply to: Lunch on coffee tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted