We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Alpine, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Mantaray night dive, Kona??

My family is taking a trip to Kauai in August. My husband and I want to swim with Mantarays, and are considering flying to the big Island for a day or two, to do the dive.

Since I've started looking into it I've read a lot of negative things: the dives are overcrowded, in many cases the companies unethical etc.

Does anyone know of any dives during the day time that focus on Mantarays, or have suggestions for ethical/less crowded companies that do the night dive?

28 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

I have done heaps of google and yahoo search including reviews and cant see anything negative about hassling dolphins- and nothing on any environmental groups.

Can you please send me review links/ reviews or articles to read up on, it would be really helpful in our decision making, thanks :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

There's a Top question on the right hand side, why not to swim with dolphins, which has tons of information including links to relevant studies and federal law. If you have any additional questions after looking at those please don't hesitate to ask.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

"I have done heaps of google and yahoo search including reviews and cant see anything negative about hassling dolphins- and nothing on any environmental groups."

Golly. Strikes me as unusual to do heaps of online research and come across no info on the controversy surrounding this issue. Out of curiosity, I just Googled "negatives about swimming with dolphins?". Here are links to the top two hits:

us.whales.org/issues/swimming-with-dolphins

www.internationalwildlifelaw.org/dolphin.html

Hope this helps. I'm sure you can find more info that will help you in your decision making.

~ Colleen

Edited: 24 February 2017, 08:15
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Yes, that also struck me as odd. Out of curiosity I googled "swimming with dolphins Hawaii controversy" and the first hits were as follows:

"Federal Officials want to ban swimming with dolphins in Hawaii"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us/federa…

Swimming With Wild Dolphins - NOAA

"Would you swim with Hawaiian spinner dolphins if you knew they were trying to sleep?"

…noaa.gov/PRD/prd_swim_with_wild_dolphins.ht…

Proposal to ban swimming with dolphins spurs debate:

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/33265099/proposal-to…

Swimming with dolphins. The Dark Truth

justinpluslauren.com/swimming-the-dolphins-t…

Hawaiian Spinner dolphins are literally being loved to death.

http://dolphinart.tripod.com/save.htm

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

I'm sure those are all excellent links from Shea, and just want to say that the last link on dolphins being "loved to death" is an easy read that I really like, states the problem in a clear and compelling way with personal observations made locally. I don't know the author, just admire the piece.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

but im not swimming with dolphins??

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

sorry bit confused! i am not doing a dolphin tour?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Shea's point was that Kamanu runs unethical dolphin tours, so by giving them money for any kind of tour, that supports a dolphin harasser. Dolphin swim tour operators should be boycotted across the board, for the harm they are doing.

Your reply #21 may have cause confusion because you left out the name of the tour operator. It is not clear whether your extensive search returned nothing on Kamanu harassing dolphins or on the broad subject that dolphin swims are bad for dolphins. That might account for the links you got on why not to swim with dolphins.

btw, glad to hear you are not doing that. 🤗

Reply to: Mantaray night dive, Kona??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted