We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Alpine, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Mantaray night dive, Kona??

My family is taking a trip to Kauai in August. My husband and I want to swim with Mantarays, and are considering flying to the big Island for a day or two, to do the dive.

Since I've started looking into it I've read a lot of negative things: the dives are overcrowded, in many cases the companies unethical etc.

Does anyone know of any dives during the day time that focus on Mantarays, or have suggestions for ethical/less crowded companies that do the night dive?

28 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

The trip itself is not unethical. It will require an overnight. There are no daytime options. It will take at least a half day to travel interisland. You're looking at about $1000 trip between interisland flights, rental car, hotel and the boat tour. You may or may not see mantas. It may or may not be cancelled for weather. I don't think it's a good use of time or money. But if you're going to do it, look at Blue Wilderness on the Kohala Coast which goes to a site with only 1-2 boats or stay at the Mauna Kea and go off the beach.

You can delete your duplicate topics by clicking on "report in appropriate content" on the bottom right hand side and then removing your posts.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Hi, we did this trip last October & were so glad we did it.

I was also disheartened with people saying it wasn't worth it - you can'tt do it in 2 days - too expensive but it was very much worth it, it was no crazy expensive & we did all we wanted to in two days.

We were island hopping with much of our time with friends/relations in Kailua in Oahu.

We did a 2 day 1 night jump to the big island, specifically to see the Mantas & seeing the Volcano was a bonus.

We got an early mornign fligh (about 7 or 8 am) into Big island, picked up our hire car, drove to Kona-Kailua, checked into the Royal Kona Resort, walked around town, went for a drive. Later in the afternoon, we checked in with out pre-booked Manta trip with Kona Divers who were fantastic. We also booked a pre Manta dive. We had our own gear with us so we dropped that off with them & met them at the Jetty later that evening.

It was a fantastic trip, we saw loads of Manta, there was 6 of us on the boat plus 2 staff. We were in th amin circle for quite a while & since or air consumption was good, Luke took us over to a quiter eara where we saw another few mantas who were a bit shy. Well worth it. Back to Kona-Kailua for food later that night.

Up early the following morning & drove to Volcano National Park, spent the day there & flew out later that night.

A few points to note:

- Depending on depths & time spent in the water, you must leave time between your dive & the time you fly - at least 16 hours.

- keep an eye on the moon & tides as to when there is a full moon as quite a lot of jelly fish appear a week to 10 days after, just google 'Jellyfish Arrival Calendar'

- Check with Kona Dive if they have a boat going out & if there is room on it, let them know that you are flying in specifically for the manta dive, they are very nice & very accommodating.

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Mancobud: How much did this trip cost you, per person to fly in to BI, car and hotel rental, and the dive itself?

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

We don't have a jellyfish problem on the Big Island. They're more of an issue on Oahu.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Can't recall exact prices but check it out yourself as you know your own dates:

And shop around.

I got flights with Hawaiian Airlines : https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/book/flights

The hotel I booked through either Trip advisor/hotel.com etc . .

Diving with Kona Dive Company: http://www.konadivingcompany.com - we found them fantastic & we have dived with many different companies all over the world, Kona were fantastic at looking after us & caring for the environment, our guide was Luke, we even managed to see some Mantas on our day dive before the night dive.

Ring them to ensure they are running a trip & have room on said trip too. They also accommodate passengers & snorkelers.

http://www.economycarrentals.com for our car & sat nav.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

I booked our night dive with Toms Barefoot and it was the cheapest. I mean all the boats take everyone out to the same location. We saved about 120.00 for the three of us just by not choosing a charter that gave hot chocolate. No joke. We paid $72.00 for each of us and that was the most reasonable I could find. Have fun!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

No, not all the boats go to the same location. There are three sites. By far the quietest is the Kohala coast site which usually only has one boat, Blue Wilderness. The two Kona district locations are often chaotic mob scenes and there's a difference in the length of the boat ride depending on who you use as well.

I would not just book the cheapest or use a consolidator. Some of the manta ray boats have poor safety records, don't follow the accepted viewing guidelines, and/or participate in illegal dolphin harassment. It does matter who you go out with.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Okay, why is it that instead of just giving suggestions people feel obligated to correct other posters? I mean come on. These are OUR opinions and just because they are different then other peoples doesn't mean they have to be discounted. I have noticed this quite a bit with a couple of contributors and I really think that it is mean and ill spirited. If this forum is run by those people that so be it, I will be sure to never post again on this particular forum. Give your advise that is great, but don't discount others. Rude.

Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

Charlene, would you mind sharing the name of the boat you went out on?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mantaray night dive, Kona??

I hear you, Charlene, but in this case I think it's a matter of correcting inaccuracies and providing more information. You mentioned that all the boats go to the same location, but that seems factually not to be the case. You implied that the tours are essentially all the same, and the point was made that this isn't the case. They may frequent different sites, be of different lengths, and adhere (or not) to guidelines.

~ Colleen

Reply to: Mantaray night dive, Kona??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted