We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atv or zipline

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Atv or zipline

Hi all, bringing my teenage boys to the big island in July. All they want to do is zipline or ride atv's. Can anyone recommend a tour company or place to arrange this type of activity? TIA

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atv or zipline

We went twice on ATV Outfitters http://www.atvoutfittershawaii.com

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Atv or zipline

We are planning on booking a tour with them next month when we are there. Which tour did you do or which would you recommend?

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atv or zipline

I'll be honest. I don't think the island is appropriate for either. I'm not averse to those kind of activities, I love driving sports cars in Vegas and I've done zip lining around the world, but this island and its culture and history, IMO, are the antithesis of loud, racing around activities like ATVs (and there are few opportunities for them).

Re the ziplines, it's kind of the Wild West here in terms of regulation and inspection of them, and the soft, porous nature of the soil on the east side has been blamed for the accidents, including one fatality there. If you're going to do one, I'd do the Kohala zip.

Instead of ATVs, I'd look at adventure activities like the manta ray night snorkel, open range horseback riding, or riding the Waipio rim or into the valley, windsurfing, and guided kayak or outrigger trips.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,187 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atv or zipline

I appreciate Shea's reply and hope you take her explanation and alternative suggestions to heart. I have a crew of teen sons and if all they wanted to do was zip line or ride ATVs, I wouldn't bring them to the Big Island. On the other hand, I think there are plenty of adventurous things to do that just seem more compatible with the BI. I hope you have a great visit & find plenty of awesome things to do & see.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atv or zipline

There are no inspections of zip line operations other than ones the companies request voluntarily. The only building inspection is of the footings at the initial stage. Something about no moving parts.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atv or zipline

Just following up, we did each of the shorter ATV tours, one along an old railway right of way and the Kohala Ditch and one to a waterfall. It was my understanding that the family owned company paid for permits to use the routes. We went on trails on former agricultural land. There was no going off trail or tearing things up. it was fairly sedate but that may have been due to our skill levels as newbies. It was a way to see mauka land and places like the Ditch and coast we otherwise would not have seen because it was private property. It was not a thrill ride by any means. atvoutfittershawaii.com/tours/#waterfallrain…

I respect others' opinions. Use your judgement.

Mentioned in this post
1,187 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atv or zipline

The North Kohala ATV is locally owned; and I would agree with Honu generally. I would also say that I lived near but not adjacent to their operation for six months, and it did generate dust onto our property and others, and they weren't caring about their effect on neighbors. They had a bad attitude in fact.

Time has passed though, and it's always possible they improved.

Mentioned in this post
1,187 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Atv or zipline

I have heard a great deal of grumbling over the years about the North Kohala ATV from the community and neighbors.

Mentioned in this post
1,187 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atv or zipline

Well, there you go. When I was a neighbor, we ourselves never complained to them, but we knew the discontent with their scene was common. The area doesn't get nearly as much rainfall as day Waipi'o Rim (Ride the Rim), and thus the dust was an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Ride the Rim
Ride the Rim
295 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atv or zipline

We also did a tour with ATV Outfitters and had a great time. There's also a great restaurant nearby called Minnie's. My husband loved Minnie's so much we're going back this year when we return to the BI.

;