We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray Snorkel

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Manta Ray Snorkel

I'm trying to research manta ray snorkels,but I just get more confused the more I read. We are staying at the Sheraton Kona and looking for a snorkel tour. I'm confused trying to figure out which location is better and which is closest to our hotel. I don't mind driving if it will make a difference in quality, but if the options are the same, I'd rather not drive far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

There are three manta ray snorkel sites, the southernmost site is right off your hotel and the boats mostly leave from Keauhou Bay right next door. The Hula Kai and Sea Paradise are two good options from there.

oregon
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

We have done a manta ray snorkel two times - one from Keauhou Bay and once from the more northern area and very much preferred the one right off your hotel. We went with the Hula Kai and it was a wonderful experience.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,121 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Iʻve been out with Sea Paradise and was quite pleased.

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Just following up on this. We ended up using fair winds. They were within walking distance from the Sheraton. Snorkel was amazing! I would recommend this company and location, especially if you are staying at the Sheraton.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Thanks for info as we are staying at the same hotel in late April and have been eyeing the night snorkel.

Could I ask a dumb question: is a wet suit (or part thereof) required for the night snorkel? We are both keen to try but don't have much in the way of wetsuits etc. I know we can hire the flippers/goggle/snorkels.

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

The wetsuit and snorkel gear was included with the tour price. All you have to do is bring a towel and show up. They said the wetsuits were optional, but were very careful to make sure everyone had one that fit well. We went in February and it was cold. I don't think one would last long without a wetsuit. Even with the wetsuits, most people didn't make it the entire time because they got too cold. I don't know how the water temp would compare in April.

Edited: 01 March 2017, 01:23
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Yep, most if not all the tours include wetsuits and you'll definitely want them.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

The company we are going through offers wetsuits. I personally would definitely use it.

chicago
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Are manta rays there all year? We are thinking about June/July vacation, can we snorkel with mantas at that time?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,121 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Yes, mantas are here all year.

Reply to: Manta Ray Snorkel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted