We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December in St. Anton

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
December in St. Anton

We're travelling to St. Anton for a snowboarding holiday December 19th-24th. I have been watching the weather and I am concerned about the lack of snow. Is this normal for this time of year? I know no one can predict the weather- especially these days, but I am just trying to gauge what to expect.

Thanks!

Peter.

Edited: 02 December 2011, 05:36
Mentioned in this post
St. Anton
St. Anton
1,402 Reviews
St. Anton am Arlberg, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December in St. Anton

It is definitely not "normal" or "usual" but such situations occur occassionally. You still have almost three weeks to hope for snow.....

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December in St. Anton

It is very unusual. Something similar happened in 2005 but mostly all the resorts in middle Tirol were affected (Kufstein to Innsbruck) especially the lower ones (grass skiing season). That year St Anton was ok as were most places west of Innsbruck.

It is most of the Alpine Region of Europe though. I was supposed to go to Verbier next weekend - not going to happen. Some light snow next week (in St Anton) but nothing to write home about.

Many resorts unwilling to make any announcements. Mayrhofen "announcing" season start 8th December on the Ahornbahn. Considering they have no snow, the Ahorn is low and the likelihood of any snow on the Ahorn over the next week practically nil ............... ;-) The Penken area on the other hand is higher and 8th December may have been a bit more realistic - although given current forecasts also not realistic.

Hochzillertal/Hochfügen also say 8th December (they all must have a +1 week agreement)

Zillertal Arena 16 Dec

Skiwelt (ok lower but a similar range to the Ahorn) has pushed their "season start" back to 15 December. Bit more realistic.

Kitzbühel just says "when we get some snow".

Thing is even is they do get some snow before xmas they may limit the opening to ensure more for the xmas period.

Also gives them more time to prepare a decent base - something they normally can do before the season starts - ensuring better piste conditions (compact/hardwearing base for the season)

Personally think most places won't properly open until 17th December at earliest (open for me is the majority of lifts open - not 1 drag lift and a strip of snow).

Higher altitude places obviously have better chance

Edited: 02 December 2011, 10:09
Mentioned in this post
Kufstein
Kufstein
Tirol, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
St. Anton
St. Anton
1,402 Reviews
Europe
Europe
World
Verbier
Verbier
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
3. Re: December in St. Anton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 18:13
vienna
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December in St. Anton

Impossible to predict any opening dates - just as impossible to predict weather -precipitation and temperatures.

Posters can only watch resort web sights - weather reports and webcams.

But with webcams - note that a little snow cover can look to be more than it is. Most websites today offer snow depth reports too and these relatively accurate.

You can imagine the big pressure now on the Bergbahnen / Lift companies that offer facilities .

Economic livelihoods of so many subject to the snow.

Naturally they will do what nature permits - and made original opening dates long ago.

These dates forced by nature to be altered and now will for sure go week by week.

I have has some experience in such affairs - having been a small shareholder of a lift company some years ago.

So much happens-

Many resorts have gala season openings , music events , snow mobile races ( Saalbach ) etc. to entice early season visitors - - not many happy faces-

Not yet time to worry about January but the next weeks to Christmas does not look great.

I should note about the Mayrhofen skiing mentioned elsewhere.

The Ahorn does not have great altitude differences from the immediate Penken area just across the valley.

Ahorn being a smaller area is much easier to cover in man - made snow -

The cable car delivers skiers directly to the skiing with othe lifts feeding skiers back up-

More economic to open the Ahorn than Penken and most probably the reason to open it first in these situations.

Places like Mayrhofen, Neustift have some advantages with being not far from Stubai and Hintertux glaciers where skiing is now OK,

Now just a matter of waiting

Mentioned in this post
Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Salzburg Region, Austria
Mayrhofen
Mayrhofen
Tirol, Austria
Hintertux
Hintertux
277 Reviews
Tux, Austria
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December in St. Anton

I go to Ischgl every year the last week just before xmas.Never had any issues in the last 10years. This year they've managed some manmade snow in the Ischgl area but Samnaun side is mostly closed (all above 2000m) and at the moment not thinking it is going to happen for me. Problem is that if they get any snow there may be a clamour for Hotel places. Also considering going to Stubai but likewise if the conditions don't generally improve every man and his dog will be there (as will be Hintertux).

Really rough situation for all those people who have booked their holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Ischgl
Ischgl
Tirol, Austria
Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: December in St. Anton

Thanks everyone for the input. So here's my question- should I chance it and hope for snow in Austria or should I head for Zermatt where there is guaranteed riding on the glacier? I was just there in February and wanted to go to Austria because I've never been there before. The original plan was five days in st. Anton, 5 days in Vienna and then on to Amsterdam for the new year.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
St. Anton
St. Anton
1,402 Reviews
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December in St. Anton

May be a slight change (for the better for higher resorts) from Monday night/Tuesday with a bit of snow forecast (through Wednesday) as the freezing point trends towards 1000m. Hopefully a change for the better.

Why St Anton??? Ischgl is open (ish) despite poor snow conditions elsewhere. Soelden is near by. Soelden has 2 Glaciers. Both places known as "party central".

www.ischgl.com

www.soelden.com

www.obergurgl.com near Soelden is partially open. Bear in mind at least these open resorts have a snow base which will only be improved with a bit of snowfall. Bare resorts have to start from scratch.

Mentioned in this post
St. Anton
St. Anton
1,402 Reviews
Ischgl
Ischgl
Tirol, Austria
vienna
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December in St. Anton

I would not change plans at this time.

You most probably have reservations and plans made for onward journey anyway.

Weather conditions allow snowmaking at many resorts now and weather prognosis is somewhat favorable in the coming days-with colder temperatures.

cost is not considered ( snow making with cannons using much electric and manpower expensive )as the need for snow for the Holiday time is paramount.

Hopefully most major higher placed resorts will have some OK snow.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December in St. Anton

We have the same issue as well! Travelling from Bermuda to Lech/Arlberg area and so stressed about this no snow. One flight is non-refundable - will cost us lots to cancel but might be worth it to arrive with no decent snow or half of lifts open???? According to weather doesn't look like much snow in forecast - we arrive on the 18th. Suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Lech
Lech
Vorarlberg, Austria
Hotel Arlberg
Hotel Arlberg
257 Reviews
Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: December in St. Anton

I originally looked at Ischgal but the hotels were all booked. How far is soleden from St.Anton? Would it be possible to stay in St. Anton and hire a car to drive to either soleden or Ischgal?

Mentioned in this post
St. Anton
St. Anton
1,402 Reviews
Get answers to your questions about St. Anton am Arlberg