We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

5 posts
Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

Hi everyone,

We see the winter season open at Dec.8, and we are planning to ski there on Dec. 14. Since it is our first time to be there, not sure whether there will be good enough for skiing.

If not, any other places to recommend? Thanks a lot!

13 replies to this topic
5 posts
1. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

2nd question,

it is ok to drive from st. anton to hallstadt, will be road be blocked due to snow or bad weather?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,626 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

driving from st anton is a bad idea at any time due to distance! in winter it would be pointless ! nobody knows what weather will be like in mid november, but for several years now, the season has not opened till well into mid december, due to lack of snow.

if you havent skied before, you will find that st anton is not the best for beginners

Vienna
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

Nobody knows December weather but slopes will operate.

One can drive to Hallstatt taking around 3-4 hours. Snow can rarely block roads in Austria as they get cleaned.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

Unless nakagoli is on about somewhere other than St Anton, ignore his comment about the season not opening until well in to mid December. In the past 10 years or so that I have been going there, there has almost always been skiing possible on the opening weekend for the main Arlberg which is the start of December. They have extensive snowmaking, so even if there is not sufficient natural snowfall, they still get pistes open. As with pretty much all ski areas, all pistes will not be skiable on day one, they gradually open them as the season picks up.

Vienna
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

St. Anton is a fun place to go.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,626 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

st anton has been scheduled to open at end of november some years. two years ago, opening was delayed until around 22 december as lower slopes were green ! yes, there will probably be some runs on the upper slopes open for experienced skiers and also to negate their "no snow" guarantee (yes, i have suffered that too !), but unless the op is an experienced skier, they may have a problem. mind you, last year it just scraped open in mid december.

in reality, it is not the best time to ensure good skiing conditions

7. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2018, 22:19
Edited: 11 November 2018, 22:19

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

Having skied/snowboarded on opening day in St Anton for the past 3 years, I'm rather dubious as to where Nakagoli gets his information from about the supposed delay in opening... Unless they were all figments of my imagination...

5 posts
9. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

Thank you all for the detailed info.

Another question is:

is St. Anton suitable for beginners?

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton

IMO, there are easier resorts, but so much depends on the condition of the snow and what the weather does to it. Go with downhill slider's opinion. I find it a bit of a Marmite resort (love it or hate it). My husband loves it, I'm not that keen. Personal taste again, I think.

Reply to: Mid December Ski condition in St. Anton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Anton am Arlberg