We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Jan?

1 post
Skiing in Jan?

Hi All,

I wasa planning on booking a skiing holiday in St. Anton during the month of Jan. Would there be enough snow to ski by then?

Thanks for the help...

8 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,507 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Skiing in Jan?

yes! it is part of the ski season and they have plenty of snow cannon in the unlikely event of poor snow

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Skiing in Jan?

Never had a problem skiing St Anton or the Arlberg in January in almost 10 seasons. Nice time to go as the snow is more reliable than early season, the slopes are quiet before the Febuary school holiday madness and no skiing heavy slush (although it is fun in its own right) in the afternoon as with later in the season.

Vienna
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Skiing in Jan?

A very good time to ski.

Quincy...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
4. Re: Skiing in Jan?

I am also headed to St Anton Jan 12 2018.....any recommendations on guides for off piste skiing?

Edited: 01 October 2017, 18:48
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Skiing in Jan?

Ross - I went to St Anton in January 2015 and loved it. Relatively good snow conditions, especially as their snowmaking facilities are probably better than most other areas. Also a great resort.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Skiing in Jan?

Marc - I'm not personally aware of specific guides. Rather than asking on TripAdvisor, I suggest you go to the snowheads forum. A quick Google search will find it.

You're much more likely to get good advice on this type of rather specific and important question.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,507 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Skiing in Jan?

as guides can only be provided by the locals, you either go to the st anton tourist office or to one of the ski schools.

new york city
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Skiing in Jan?

This maybe a bit late, but highly recommend guides from WhiteGuides.com reviewed by us here. They were incredible in whiteout fog conditions, gales and incessant blizzards and took an expert young skier on some incredible terrain. We were there first week of April 2018, Easter week no less ! To give you an idea -

1. Here is our review here on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

2. Here is a home movie of the most unbelievable guiding on a bluebird day after a day of gale force winds and blizzards where WhiteGuide's Mani took young lad from NYC (Expert skier) who has little experience for such exposures and the omnipresent avalanche risk through the Valluga - "it's one he-- of a ride": the young lad filmed this mostly - the Valluga - the entry is intense and it's a beautiful serene ride after that : https://youtu.be/7rghkpdCius

3. And for more off-piste, Monzabon, Juppenspitze, Stierloch, etc here is a TR home video:https://youtu.be/BHtZxQSadPI

The Whiteguides showed great confidence in their skier charges and it was a tour of discovery, off-piste in St Anton, Zurs, Lech, and Warth.

You can't go wrong with Andreas (ex WC FIS racer), Mani (mountain guide extraordinaire who took young lad on the Valluga, powder in blizzards on the Wartherhorn) and Franz (eminence grise of the mountain guides in the Arlberg). - all WhiteGuides!

Edited: 04 May 2018, 02:06
Reply to: Skiing in Jan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Anton am Arlberg