We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle or Rental Car

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
304 posts
53 reviews
Shuttle or Rental Car

We are traveling to St. Anton via Zurich in February - we are 2 adults, two teens and lots of luggage + skis. I have a reservation for a rental car, but would we be better off booking a taxi/shuttle? Is a car useful to have while there? We would like to spend some time exporing Lech and Zuers as well. Our hotel has free parking and we are located right in town near the Galzig and Rendlbahn lifts. We had a rental car in Chamonix a few years ago and found it very useful, but I'm not sure that's the case here.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,022 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

a taxi would be pretty expensive so i would go for a shuttle. once there you wont need a car as you can reach zurs and lech on skis....or free bus if you dont want to ski!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
993 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

Lech and Zuers are easily accessible without a car, especially now the new Flexenbahn is completed eliminating the need for the free ski bis between Alpe Rauz and Zuers/Lech. There isn't actually a free bus between St Anton itself and Lech/Zuers, but the post bus only costs a couple of Euros, so if you decided to stay a little longer there and not head for last lift up Valfagehr to get back, it would only be about €3 or so each to get back (been a couple of seasons since I last did this so not too sure what it currently costs).

The Arlberg Express shuttles between Zurich and the Arlberg have been commended by people I know who have used them, and the train is also worth looking in to, just one change from the Aiport at Zuerich HBf to St Anton.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,647 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

If you can physically handle all the stuff you bring, then taking the international train from Zurich's Hauptbahnhof Station directly to St. Anton am Arlberg would be a viable option.

From Zurich Airport in Kloten to Zurich Hauptbahnhof simply take a local train, you can buy the entire trip here: www.sbb.ch or www.oebb.at/en

Edited: 26 November 2016, 05:21
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,647 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

And should you actually rent a car, do not forget to buy a toll sticker for the use of Austrian expressways (= superior roads with the national abbreviation A and S) which must be correctly validated (done by the vendor) and affixed to the windshield as instructed on the backside of sticker!

And there are additional tolls for longer tunnels such as Arlberg Road Tunnel between Langen am Arlberg and St. Anton am Arlberg (part of S16 expressway).

A sticker for 10 days costs around 9€.

www.asfinag.at

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
304 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

Thanks for the tips. I think I will look into the private shuttle, as it is still less expensive than the big rental car we needed. I'm not sure we are up for a long wait and a long shared bus ride after the overnight flight. Can you bring skis on the post bus? The free bus looks good too, but it seems that it would take a long time to make your way over to Lech and back. How long do you think it will take to ski from St. Anton to Lech via the new Flexenbahn?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
993 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

Skis/boards go in a rack on the back of the Postbus, the free ski busses you carry them in with you.

As for how long it'd take to ski to Lech, usually takes us 45 minutes from getting on the first lift in St Anton to getting to the bus stop at Alpe Rauz for the free ski bus, then about 10 mins or so on the bus to Zuers. I'd say it'd be similar for the Flexenbahnbahn. We usually get off in Zuers rather than going all the way through to Lech and ski there first, as getting the bus back to Rauz from Lech was quieter/easier to get on than in Zuers. We'd go straight through to Lech if we were to ski Warth.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,022 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

a private shuttle could also be expensive, but from the austrian airports, there are shuttle buses running to all the major resorts. not sure about from zurich though. use google to search for the contacts or contact st anton tourist bureau.

as for time to ski from st anton to lech? the flexenbahn is new this year so i have no idea of the time needed. however, before now, and using a short shuttle bus on part of the trip, there was absolutely no problem going to lech and back, also doing a tour of zurs, in a days outing. but i reckon that you could get over in less than 2 hours.

and yes, buses carry skis, either on racks at the back or in the luggage compartments. dont forget, everybody skis !

8. Re: Shuttle or Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Anton am Arlberg