We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Bike Problems

cheshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Mountain Bike Problems

Hi

I have booked to come to Saalbach in Sept 2019 but am a bit concerned about the comments made about the problems with mountain bikers.

We were hoping to take some nice walks through the mountains but I have read that this is becoming more and more difficult due to the amount of inconsiderate mountain bikers.

Has anybody been recently that can advise on this situation?

Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,598 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

where did you read comments about mountain bikers? there are so many paths and trails you will rarely come across them, and if you do, you will find that they are as courteous as you

cheshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

Thank you for your reply. Have you been there recently? I understand they have an annual mountain bike event but I'm struggling to find the dates for it for next year.

I have been to Saalbach and Hinterglemm 4 times but not for about 25 years. I loved the variety of walks and the beauty of the place and this time am going with my husband. After raving about it I don't want it to be spolit by being unable to enjoy the scenic walks.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

Here is the info https://www.saalbach.com/en/events/20th-worl…

cheshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

Thank you but this only has the dates for this year and we're not travelling until Sept 2019.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

https:/…glemmride-bike-festival_e_1664

Mountain biking is popular all over Austria but as Nak says, there are enough trails for everyone and often the events add atmosphere in the villages.

Edited: 06 July 2018, 19:50
6. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 July 2018, 20:15
Edited: 06 July 2018, 20:15

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,598 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

all , or most resorts have mtb events at some time during the year, but these are maybe 2-3 day events. if saalbach one is in early june this year, it will be in early june next year. it wont be in september as schools are back and families will not be able to compete. your op indicated that it was not one event that you were concerned about, but a general problem. well there AINT ! you probably will not come across any mountain bikes in september, or may be one or two. they wont interfere in the slightest, in your ability to enjoy your hikes

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

Saalbach has a big mtb event every year, for a week or early /mid June.

For the rest of the time, they are well aware that mtb riders and walkers on the same paths are not compatible, so have made big efforts to point out where paths are shared or where a path is reserved exclusively for one or the other. There are a few places where bikes have caused a bit of erosion, but in 6 years of visiting, we've never had any real problems at all. The walking is lovely, you can miss the bikes, so just go and enjoy it. If , at the time you're there, Saalbach does have a mtb event, start at Hinterglemm, and vice versa. There's plenty of room for everybody. Bikes will only be carried in bike-specific gondolas on the lifts, so there's no danger of getting covered in mud (in fact, they won't let bikes onto the lifts unless they've been washed at the bottom station!).

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Mountain Bike Problems

Mountain Biking really took off in Saalbach about 6 or 7 years ago.

For the first couple of summers there were some issues with bikers and walkers getting in each others way, but the Bergbahn cableway company, the MTB clubs and the Tourist Office have worked together to try to make the mountains accessible for everyone with as few problems as possible.

There are now numerous specific MTB trails, fun parks and routes. The lifts have been upgraded and there are separate queues for bikers and walkers, and separate trails at the top of the mountain. Overall it is now very easy to see which trails are designated for which group. Of course there are still a few bikers who ignore the 'No Bikes' signs, and I have also seen walkers making their way down steep and narrow MTB trails oblivious to the danger that they are putting themselves and others in, but overall, there is plenty of room for everyone and most people now show respect to others on the mountain. I'm off to Saalbach at the weekend and looking forward to getting my hiking boots on again.

As for MTB events in 2019 - you can look at the dates for the various events in 2018 and generally assume that the same events will run in the same week in 2019. None of the events take up all of the mountain. For example, the big event this weekend, the Glemmride Bike Festival, is centred around Hinterglemm and the Reiterkogel. It is actually very spectator-friendly, with competitions taking place in the village itself and with competitors doing things on mountain bikes that you wouldn't think possible.

Reply to: Mountain Bike Problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saalbach-Hinterglemm