We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

Hewlett, New York
Level Contributor
678 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

HI all...attempting to super suprise my hubby with a quick NO fix next weekend. Our 10 year 5 couple extravagent weekend in 10/05 was cancelled due to Katrina and we are feeling the NO itch. Anyway I can pick from Royal Sonesta and Monteleone (am I spelling that right) for a quick weekend from NY. We like a nicer hotel, were booked at the Ritz Carlton for our big trip and would like the "nicer" of the two. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Kelly

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

Neither hotel is of the same caliber as the Ritz, but both are good hotels. The well-run, quieter Monteleone is my personal favorite for NOT being on Bourbon Street, yet within easy walking distance of everything.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

Yes, I have said this many times before, the Monteleone is my favorite hotel within the FQ - very romantic as well. I think you will be happier there and it will be better for you, definitely nicer. We look forward to having you in Nola!!!!!!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

i made reservations at royal sonesta for march so i'll have to get back to you. i'm sure monteleone is wonderful but i'm 21 and i wanted to be on bourbon no matter how touristy it is :)

Blacksburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

Monteleone hands down! It is the street over from Bourbon so it is very close but doesn't have the noise and people peeing/puking right in front of the hotel. They have great service and restaurants, a bar, and a spa inside the hotel plus a rooftop pool. Also, the beds are the best we had ever slept on!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

yes, I love the rooftop pool!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

We all love the Monteleone, but our friend here IS, as she says, 21. At that age even I would have luv-v-v-v-ed being on Bourbon Street!

The Royal Sonesta is a nice hotel, and you'll definitely be in the thick of things. Don't change your reservation. You can try the Monteleone the next time you visit New Orleans. (And you WILL visit New Orleans again, won't you?)

Have a great, great time!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

haha yes i will be here again and i bet monteleone would be great. I was there two years ago but i stayed outside the quarter and i regretted that. a pool on the roof does sound very exciting though! I know i'm going to go in to new orleans with the mentality of 'they're going to have to throw me out of the bars cause i'm gonna get so crazy' but probably after one night of that i'll be in by 9 pm :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

To be honest with you, French Quarter rooftop pools are not very big. They're more "cocktails-at-poolside" pools, or "jump-in-and-cool-off" pools. (I actually prefer the pool at the Omni Royal Orleans to the pool at the Monteleone.)

Which is to say, any pool in the Quarter is "lagniappe," and shouldn't be your top priority in choosing a hotel. You'll enjoy the Monteleone some day is for its fantastic staff, nice rooms, and perfect (and perfectly quiet!) location.

Change of topic, since you'll be partying hearty. I've had excellent luck with these:

http://www.hangoverstopper.com/

Again, have a ball!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

haha i don't get hangovers...well i haven't yet. the trick is to drink water before bed if you remember and sleep till noon the next day

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monteloeone vs. Royal Sonesta

Tanya, I haven't stayed at Monteleone, although I plan to on my next trip due to the wonderful reviews that it receives on this forum. However, last year my husband and I stayed in Royal Sonesta during French Quarter Festival. Our room overlooked Rick's Cabaret on Bourbon Street. We were never bothered by noise, and we enjoyed being able to look out of our window down onto Bourbon Street. The hotel was absolutely beautiful and our room was very nice. We were very pleased. with the hotel and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Our in-room safe wouldn't open and they had someone there to fix it for us within minutes. There is a beautiful pool there (we didn't swim) and I don't remember it being small, but I could be wrong. It is a beautiful hotel.