We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
397 posts
66 reviews
New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

Hi

We plan on visiting New Orleans next year and then go onto Nashville, our travel agent told us it may be just as easy to drive between the two rather than fly, has anyone done this or can advise which option is better?

Thanks

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

according to Mapquest, that's a 531 mile trip, approx. 8 hours. If you are coming from Wales (ancestral home of my wife, Bronwyn, by the way) I will assume you are not familiar with the U.S. roadways. You might be better off flying. I am also not sure what rental rates are for cars to drive that far, probably rather steep. I will be driving about that far today, TO New Orleans, but then I own my car and we will be returning after 5 nights.....and I have made the trip before, so........

hope that helps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

I would fly. Southwest Airlines (www.southwest.com) offers inexpensive one-way flights between the two cities.

River Ridge, La
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

we drive from New Orleans to Memphis 4 or 5 times a year, it's an easy drive. all interstate. you can take Interstate 55 to 40 ,stop in Natchez, go through Memphis and see Graceland or go 59 to 65, this way you can see the space museum in Alabama, being on vacation I would do alittle sightseeing and make it a 2 day trip. if you just want to go straight as quickly as possible then look into flying.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

I would probably fly. You will not need a car in New Orleans because almost everything is in easy walking distance (if you drive, rent a car, parking averages about $15 - $20 a day, 3-4 days $60 plus the rate of the car). Some airlines offer very low priced tickets for intercontinental travel if you book at least a month or 2 in advance. I have found one way tickets as low as $69 and I have seen some advertised for as low as $49. The ride from the airport to your hotel is at a fixed rate of $28, and the same back.

The gas would cost you around $100 plus all the time on the road, 8-10 hours. Including traveling meals and other expences driving could cost as much as flying, possibily more.

The only pro side to this is if you like driving and want to see the country. You could travel down the coast and view what's left of the hurricane damage (it's still alot), leaving New Orleans by Interstate 10 and a short detour at Gulfport to Biloxi in Missippi. You could also take a short detour and see the beaches in Pensacola, claiming to be the whitest in the world. There would also be other sites if this is of interest to you

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
5. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

"WEBWIDE" did your wife Brownwyn ever do any work for Denny's Corp in Spartanburg?

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

Myself and my husband drove from Memphis to New Orleans in April this year. The drive is very easy (mainly all motorway) If you want to see a bit of the us drive. Took about 6 hours including lunch stop. Have a great holiday.

Pauline

(merseyside).

P.S. I am not an Elvis fan but graceland it worth a visit.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

Hi rickwal,

Forgot to say, we have driven 1800 miles in a rental car (never done less than 800) and never been charged for mileage.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

not sure why everyone keeps mentioning Memphis - as the original post was regarding Nashville.......

It really comes down to time vs. cost - the car drive will burn a day, the flight maybe half a day. The cost - without knowing details, i would imagine the flight cost w/ SouthWest would be similar to gas + rental cost. I guess it depends on your budget and how many days you will be stateside.

To the person who asked about my wife, she has never worked at a Denny's as far as i know! That must be one of the 20 other Bronwyn's in the world. :o)

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
9. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

Okay, it is an unusual name and when I worked there were had auditors from TX visit from time to time and there was a blond haired women named Brownyn from UK somewhere. She was not employed with Denny's but with a company they used. Oh well. Just a stab in the dark. I lived in New Orleans for 5 yrs and that is why I check this sight out sometimes, I lived in TN for year half also.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
397 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: New Orleans to Nashville - Drive or Fly?

Thanks everyone for this, it's a great help in deciding what to do, it's not really a cost issue as we are on vacation more the time factor as to whether it would be quicker and easier driving than going to the airport for such a short flight, we've been visiting the US for a few years now and know from driving that you get to see the places away from the cities that you would otherwise miss.