We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swamp tours

Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
swamp tours

We'll be in New Orleans next week and are thinking about taking a swamp tour (either honey island swamp tour or cajun encounters)

My question is... What will it be like this time of year (late Feb)?

Will the gators and other animals be out and available or will they be sleeping(hybernating). Is it worthwhile taking now?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swamp tours

most will be hibernating and the swamp won't be in full bloom, but it's still lovely. I'd recommend it if the weather is nice (I just LOVE the swamps!) but if it's cold, even I wouldn't do it!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,562 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swamp tours

We have done two swamp tours, one in mid March and one in mid April. That one month made a huge difference. The March tour was very cold, we were pretty miserable really, and didn't see a single gator. The April tour was wonderful - warm, sunny, and plenty of gators and creatures out to see. You might want to just wait and see how the weather is while you are there, but if it is still cool, I'd skip it.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swamp tours

There are a couple of different types of "swamp tours" near New Orleans. One type is on a pontoon boat and the other on an airboat. You will need to do the research to see which best fits your desires in this regard.

For pontoon boats, go to the "Tours" section of Slidell, LA, in Trip Advisor.

For airboats, go to the "Tours" section in both Lafitte, LA, and Marrero, LA.

There are lots of reviews there for you to read to help you make up your mind. Also look under "Tours" in New Orleans and you will find lots of tour companies that will provide transportation, but you will probably end up on one of the swamps listed above.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swamp tours

dr. wagners honey island swamp tour has excellent reviews but it will still be early if you want to see alligators.

Washington
Level Contributor
534 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swamp tours

We just did the Cajun Encounter last week. We did see a few gators, but frankly I wouldn't do it again until the weather warmed up. The majority of the trip was the guy making small talk about his life out in the swamp. I can see that for free on TV with all the swamp shows on. Except for the kids who got excited when he brought out a baby gator, most people were pretty bored after about 30 minutes into the trip.

Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swamp tours

Thanks for the advice. This will give us an excuse to come back again when it's warmer.

7. Re: swamp tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:43