We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Our trip is still a while off, but I love the planning, so I'm starting nice and early. We're a couple (both 30) and we're bringing DH's parents (late 50s)..it will be our 4th trip and the parents' very first (yay!). We'll be in town Tues (arrive at MSY at 9:20a)-Sat midday and staying at the PDA. In theory, we'll have time for 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, and 1 brunch (though NOLA has a way of throwing plans and theory to the wind in a beautiful way!). We'll be traveling on a pretty tight budget, with one semi-splurge dinner (for us anyway). What do you think of this line-up?

Breakfasts: quick stops at Cafe DuMonde, Croissant D'Or, and hotel continental breakfast..would rather save appetite and $ for lunch/dinner

Lunches: Napoleon House (warm muff & pimm's cup), Verti Marte (po boys..All that Jazz for DH), Stanley, and Casemento's while in GD

Dinners: Acme Oyster, Red Fish Grill (one of my favorites), Eat (menu makes my mouth water and reviews are great though I haven't seen much talk about it here), and Muriel's (our "splurge")

Brunch: Saturday at Red Gravy (last meal of the trip)

We'll also be sure to visit EGN for margs, chips, and guacamole...YUM!

Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you in advance! Oh, and the Flok's plans sound like so much fun. We hope to one day join you all..unfortnately this May just wasn't in the cards.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Consider Murie's for your one splurge. Have drinks on their balcony overlooking Jackson Square. There are numerous lunch and dinner special's in NOLA. Mr. B's has a 2 course prix fixe lunch for $20.00. Domenica is a casual John Besh Italian restaurant in the Roosevelot Hotel a block from Canal Street. They have happy hour specials from 3/6 half price pizza and drinks. Dining at the bar at Domenica is fun. Luke is another John Besh restaurant in the Hilton on St. Charles. They have a 2 course express lunch for $15.00 and 3/6 Happy Hour half price drinks and 50 cent oysters. Dining at the bar at Luke is fun also. Antoine's is in the FQ and they have a prix fixe 3 course lunch for $20.00.

Domenica @ 123 Baronne St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 648 - 6020.

http://www.domenicarestaurant.com/

Luke Restaurant @ 333 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 378 - 2840.

http://www.lukeneworleans.com/

Mimi's in the Marigny and Port O Call are fine places for inexpensive dining. The burgers at Port O Call are outstanding. Buffa's Lounge has good tamales.

Mimi's in the Marigny @ 2601 Royal St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 872 - 9868.

Port of Call @ 838 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 523 - 0120.

http://www.portofcallneworleans.com/

Buffa's Lounge @ 1001 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 949 - 0038.

http://www.buffaslounge.com/

Take the elderly to WWII DDay Museum and have lunch at American Sector. There's half price drinks and 75 cent sliders from 3/6 PM.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

What do you plan on doing activity-wise? It would make sense to schedule your food around that.

I love Casamentos, but it closes during the summer, so keep that in mind. It's also located Uptown, about 15 blocks up Magazine from the Garden District. There's plenty to see along the walk.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Alice, thank you for the heads-up..our trip is in June, so I guess Casemento's is out. 1 year old is on the run...write more later :)

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Couple - Your itinerary sounds perfect! Don't worry about other places, you can catch them the next time you're in NOLA!! *wink*

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

I'm with ccolor...sound GREAT!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Couple--I think your line up sounds excellent! I'm with Herm and Color on that one! Hopefully you will get to join the Flok. We're thinking June 2013! (At least I got the year right this time BCLA!)

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Thank you, Axle for the great suggestions. Thank you, CC, Herm, and Deny for your "thumbs up" on the line-up! Sorry for to "post and run" originally...a sinus infection kept me away from TA for a few days...

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Couple, don't change a thing because I promise you, your parents will (at least once) say, let's try this one! But, if you have time for one more, I whole heartily agree with Muriels, even if it is only for a drink up on the balcony to people watch.

"JO"

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

I misspelled Muriel's up top. Sorry about that. It's a grand restaurant that you should do your best to visit.

Muriel's @ 801 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 568 - 1885.

http://www.muriels.com/html/home.html

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Line-up: What do you think?

Thank you everyone! Muriel's is a definite for us. We actually got our parents a gift card for there for Christmas, so we plan to have a special meal there. I was thinking we would make a dinner reservation for our last night in town...drinks on the balcony there is a must for sure :). Thank you again!