We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plans for Mardi Gras 2012!!

Baton Rouge, La
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Plans for Mardi Gras 2012!!

My husband & I always go to the parades in nola on the Sunday before mardi gras day, and this year I'll be 20 weeks pregnant. I don't want to break the tradition, but I'd like to be a little more cautious than in previous years. We usually walk around St. Charles & then to the quarter area- so tons of walking, trying to cut back on that & cut back on getting squished in between people. Should we buy tickets in the grandstands? Try to find a balcony to stand on? Any idea where to find a balcony for a reasonable price?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Plans for Mardi Gras 2012!!

KL.........I would skip this year. There's always next year. And the little one might enjoy going in a couple of years. Tickets are expensive. And there will be huge crowds. Go the week after MG and enjoy the city. Good luck.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Plans for Mardi Gras 2012!!

Are you staying in town or day tripping? If you put "grandstands" in the search box at the top of this thread, then choose sort by date, you will pull up several recent posts on this subject. In addition to grandstands, you might also look at packages with various restaurants along the route. That usually lets you come inside, use their facilities, get food/drink, rest a while, then go back out when you're ready. Some also include parking in a reserved lot (very worthwhile on Bacchus Sunday if you're Uptown). If it's pretty warm on MG (always a possibility) you may appreciate those amenitiies at 20 weeks. On St. Charles, There are usually packages at Michaul's, Zea, Avenue Pub, Superior Grill, N.O. Hamburger and Seafood to mention a few off the top of my head. New this year will be the Irish House and Superior Seafood (set to open Feb. 1 at Napoleon & St. Charles. Irish House has a small balcony you'd probably have access to. You''d have to call places for specifics as most of them don't have details on their websites or FB page yet.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 16:17
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Plans for Mardi Gras 2012!!

I second the Avenue Pub. They have a nice balcony but it's not big so be sure and make reservations.

http://theavenuepub.com/

4. Re: Plans for Mardi Gras 2012!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:17