We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to stay

Hopewell Junction...
Level Contributor
14 posts
72 reviews
How much time to stay

I am going to NO end of Sept. Is 5 full days a good amount of time to see the major sites of the city? I am most interested in the French Quarter area and Garden District.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: How much time to stay

5 days is just right. Stay in the FQ. You won't need a car. You can walk to the Marigny and anywhere in the FQ. Go ahead and get a room soon. You can always cancel. September is a good month. Stay at Le Marais, Provincial, Dauphine Orleans, Monteleone, St. Marie, Pace D Armers or Provincial. If you want to step up a notch stay at Royal Sonesta, Royal Orleans or Ritz Carlton. Let us know more about your plans. You will get a lot of help here. Take the streetcar to the GD and Uptown. Have lunch at Commander's Palace and visit the neat shops on Magazine Street. Enjoy your visit.

Hopewell Junction...
Level Contributor
14 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: How much time to stay

Thanks so much for the info. I will post more questions as I read up more about New Orleans!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: How much time to stay

5 days is a good amount of time for a 1st trip, especially if you just want to sightsee in the Quarter and the GD. I do recommend taking a cemetery tour. The above ground cemeteries are unique to the south, and the history is very interesting.

Plus you'll get a bit of a walking tour out of it too as the tours usually meets on Royal or Bourbon depending on the company, and then you make your way up to the cemetery. The tour guide will point out stuff along the way.

And having 5 days will give you the time to just sit back with a beverage, listening to a great street band, and do some awsome people watching at the same time.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: How much time to stay

Five days would be a wonderful amount of time! We have never been able to swing more than 3 or 4 and it's just not enough.

Start with a carriage tour of the Quarter to get the lay of the land. I also love to recommend Confederacy of Cruisers for their creole bicycle tour. You'll get a taste of the area just outside of the Quarter and the tour guides are the best!

I also agree with staying in the Quarter and taking the streetcar up to the Garden District. For your first trip, you'll spend most of your time in the Quarter. Enjoy making your plans - there are some great posters on this forum who have tons of information. I'm getting ready for my 7th trip and I learn something new every time I read a new thread!

5. Re: How much time to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 10:23