We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I will be heading back to NOLA in Oct for a week!

I am looking at the 3 hotels listed above. I may stay at all of them to get the cheapest over the weekend. And split my stay before & after the weekend between the other 2 Choices.

I know they are all recommended Hotels ( I stayed in Place D Arms last Oct for 2 nights) I did like the Hotel- The bed was pretty uncomfortible for me.

The most recent reviews for Hotel Villa Convento Are not great. (well mixed) Saying the Younger generation of the Family has taken over the hotel & they dont seem to care...

What do all of you experts think.

Which of the 3 hotels is your favorite- And why?

TIA

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I would not consider Villa Convento in the same class with PDA. Le Marais, Monteleone, St. Marie and Provinicial are better choices. Good luck.

Hotel Le Marais @ 717 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 525 - 2300.

http://www.hotellemarais.com/

Hotel Monteleone @ 214 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 523 - 3341.

http://hotelmonteleone.com/

Hotel Provincial @ 1024 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 581 - 4995.

http://www.hotelprovincial.com/

Hotel St. Marie @ 827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 561-8951.

http://www.hotelstmarie.com/

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I'll second axle on the Provincial (not having stayed in any of the others!) Greatest beds on earth (and when you get to be my age...comfort counts!:)

LOVE your pooch!!!!!!! What a face!!!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I have stayed at Villa Convento several times and loved it, but I also have heard it has gone downhill. It was never fancy but definitely had charm and ambiance. The last time we were in NOLA we stayed at Hotel St. Marie and really enjoyed it - we had a very large room with a small balcony overlooking the courtyard and pool area. The HSM is just 1/2 block off of Bourbon but we weren't bothered at all by noise. I haven't stayed at the Place dArmes, but it is very popular and in my opinion, has the best location of any hotel in New Orleans. On location alone, I would choose PDA. And as others have said, the Provincial is very too....so many hotels, so little time!!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I'd pick the Place D'armes and then St. Marie next mostly due to the location, staff, charm but Provincial is very nice if you can compare rates and it has a nice creole charm.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I LOVE the Provincial!!!! I have been there 4 times and it just keeps getting better and better. Staff is sensational, location is good and in a quiet area, and the beds are so nice and comfy you don't want to get out of them! Also a hop, skip, and a jump from El Gato Negro and their sensational margaritas!

I have heard many good things said about Place D'Armes. I have never stayed there but I hear it is nice.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I'd be leary of changing up hotels several times. I understand taking advantage of pricing, but IMO you lose so much precious NOLA time with packing/unpacking/moving/checking in, that a few hundred doolar savings isn't worth it.

If you need to save, maybe just take the least expensive option to start?

Or maybe consider changing rooms within one hotel. When we stayed at the PDA, we moved from a balcony which we stayed at for the weekdays, to a courtyard room for the weekend. We packed our bags, left them on the bed, and went out for the day. When we came back, they had moved everything for us - it was very convenient.

MN
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

Thanks for all the replies, My Email notification doesnt seem to be working great today.

So far I have the St Marie booked for most of my stay with just a room switch for the weekend (Halloween weekend) And the last 2 nights of my stay at Place D Arms.

Thanks Hermicane-my Wonderful Dog died this Past March : (

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
639 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

I think you'll be happy with Hotel St. Marie. The location is great and the hotel has that New Orleans charm.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

smilin...I'm so sorry...it's always the hardest thing in the world...

Please let us know how you liked both hotels!

MN
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Place D' Arms, Hotel Villa Convento or St Marie

Thanks Hermicane.

I will report back on the 2 hotels