We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Flokin Segway Adventure

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
The Flokin Segway Adventure

Big plans on Sunday, when the wake up call came at 6:00 I had mixed emotions, last full day in N’awlins is always bittersweet, scared $hitle$$ about riding that freakin’ Segway and wishing I had a few more hours to sleep in. Got ready in time to have swill some java with My Girlz on the balcony and headed out with DH, InAia & DH toward our grand adventure. Stopped by Community Coffee on Decatur for another shot of coffee and bottled water. As we turned the corner on Conti, there they were, 9 Segways lined up there looking fairly innocuous. I felt strangely calm as we walked in and chatted up Dawn. She is a sweetheart and did everything she could to put us at ease. We asked if the tour could end a few minutes early as we were also booked to go to the New Orleans School of Cooking at 10:00AM, (ST ended at 10:30AM), clearly we were genius in our planning. Dawn said that regrettably she could not get us back early because there were 4 more people on the same tour. OK, we knew Herm & Deny would save us seats and we had sent our money with them, but they had also promised us some torment if we disrupted the class with our arrival. Oh well, what are you going to do?

Signed the waivers and turned our attention to the rack of helmets. OMG! I asked if I could sign a second waiver and decline the stupid looking helmet. Knew I was in trouble as I saw DH chuckling and turning on his camera, no breaks from anyone in this crowd. WTH, I put one on and promised retribution if too many stupid pics of me in the thing showed up. Outside to take our “training.” I will admit that at that point, I was not 100% sure I was going to go. InA1a and I had discussed that if we decided not to, the 2 DHs would just have to wheel off without us and we would go have a drink before the NOSOC. The other people on the tour “trained,” first. Some of them had ridden before and at least one of them was zipping around like a jacka$$ making me a nervous wreck. Finally it was my turn, deep breath, do EXACTLY what she told me and unbelievably, it worked. I could ride the stupid thing. So far so good but our tour mates were still zipping around like idiots and I had heard Dawn warn us about getting throw off on you’re a$$ is you “kissed,” tires. I wasn’t planning on doing any kissing, that much was certain. Dawn sensed my concern and called me aside to tell me that if the jacka$$ kept zipping around like that she would excommunicate his dumba$$ and that would be the end of it. I was sort of looking forward to that happening so off we went.

We take off on a sensible route, on Conti to Burgundy, turn Right to Gov Nicholls I think, anyway, routes goes through quieter areas of the FQ first. I was digging that. She also blocked intersections as we went through, I was diggin that too. For those who have not ridden a Segway, it is not like I had expected. You control it through pressure on your feet. When you roll to the balls of your feet and put more pressure there, you go forward, the more pressure the faster. To slow or stop you roll back to put more pressure on your heels. Turning is NOT like a bike, more like a joystick, tilt it to the left to turn left. All is well for the first 30-40 minutes, but now my feet and legs are burning like crazy. Not exactly being an athelete, those are muscles, (and I use the term loosely), that I don’t frequently use. Another part that was somewhat difficult for me was when she would have us all pull up and stop so she could do the Tour Lecture part, historic buildings and facts. Having been to N’awlins more times than I can count and reading everything I can get my hands on about it, her lecture was less than fascinating to me. Minor complication, while it is pretty easy to go forward on a Segway, I found it difficult to stay in a stationary position and it looked like some others did too, including the ones zipping around all over the place, and I was still thinking about the danger of Kissing tires, so I didn’t like that part so much. We stopped on Frenchmen Street for a break, got off and understood what she meant by Segway legs, yikes, I walked up and down the street to get rid of the feeling of my feet being asleep. I am sure my anxiety probably contributed to my tenseness and resulting stiffness. Had a chance to chat with our tour mates on the stop and they were really nice people from Baltimore. Since I liked his wife and kids so much I stopped wishing Jacka$$ would get kicked off the tour. In all honestly, it was my anxiety more than his actions that led to my hostility to begin with.

Back on and toward the French Market, along Decatur and WTH, are we seriously going up that ramp to the River Walk, really??? She warned us to make sure we got enough speed to get up the ramp but stop at the top and turn as there were stairs going down the other side, (for those who are wondering, Segways don’t do well on stairs), then up on the levy. Now I am sure most of the time this is a good place to ride. The day we were there half the population of NOLA was up there looking at how high the river is. I am going to suggest that if ever you are up there meandering around and you see people on Segways, pay attention and get the flok out of their way, some of them, (no names here), might not be very skilled at riding them. After another short break walking off our Segway Legs, we were back on and headed back. I am going to be perfectly honest and say I would have enjoyed a slightly shorter tour for my first ride. I was again horrified to learn we were going down the hill, over the tracks, turning left on Decatur in all the traffic, back to the office. We all survived it, including me, but it did give me a bit of anxiety. She reminded us to stay to the right so we were out of the path of traffic, that is one reminder I did not need. We were in such a hurry to get to the NOSOC that we parked, jumped off and headed off immediately. Didn’t realize until I was at the NOSOC that we had taken off without tipping her. After we left we walked back up there, gave her a tip and thanked her. She is a great guide, if you decide to do the Segway, (and I think most people would really like it), try to get Dawn as your guide

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Hi KCK - this is what I was waiting for :)

Glad you went through with it and somewhat enjoyed it. Your group was bigger than mine so it would be harder to deal with the "experts" (SHOW OFFS). It's too bad the area by the river was so crowded, you probably would have liked the freedom of going full-speed along there but with people everywhere it would be scary.

Hard to describe how much your feet/legs hurt in the beginning - but it does ease up once you get a bit more relaxed....I'm sure we were both very tense for the first part of the tour. I was also glad to hear you got Dawn for your guide, she was great.

This was just one small part of your fabulous trip - Now you can say "oh sure, I'VE ridden a segway, no problem". :D

I've been reading all the reports by everyone and it sounds like a once in a lifetime gathering. Thanks to everyone for sharing your great adventures.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 23:46
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Wow! You are so braver than me. I don't know if my legs would have held up. So, would you recommend it or not?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Absolutely recommend it. I will probably do it again.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

LOLOLOLOL!... sounds exactly like how I would have been although to be honest I think I would have backed out altogether. Good going.... you should be very proud! You made my day today!

Karen

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Sounds like we made a good decision not to have Dave do that..... but I am getting my azz on one as soon as possible!

How many pix of you in that helmet did DH get? Proud of you and INAgadda!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

More than I would like for sure, DH is sleeping in this morning. When he has time to upload them I guess I will allow a couple in the sext helmet. ; )

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Have seen a few and not sure they are going to be posted. May need to "blue dot" on my own head. I look like a Goon in that thing. Not fair IMHO because InA1a looks cute in hers.

Kokomo, Indiana
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Have to disagree with you (for once). Our son saw the pictures of us and said if we would have crashed those helmets would have done NOTHING!!!!! :)

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

DH describes those helmets as "styrfoam with a trash bag material stretched over it." Quite, ummm, attractive too. ; )

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Flokin Segway Adventure

Against my better judgement I posted a couple of pics of Me & InA1a with our sexy Segway helmets on in the Photobucket acct of the Flokintour. This proves I have absolutely no vanity!