We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone eaten at Luke?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone eaten at Luke?

In other thread, there was some discussion about Luke, which led me to their website and reading the menus. OMG! It sounds really good! If anyone has eaten there, can you give us a review?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Luke
Luke
2,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,044 Reviews
from US$44.50*
US$48.00
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
769 Reviews
from US$176.00*
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
726 Reviews
from US$31.50*
US$34.00
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

John Besh is the owner of Luke, August, Domenica and Besh Steakhouse. He owns a famous restaurant on the North Shore also. He recently opened a Luke on Riverwalk in San Antonio. The food is French/German and outstanding. It's located in the Hilton on St. Charles.

Go at 3/6 PM for half price drinks and 50 cent oysters. John is a great chef and great ambassador for NOLA.

John and 8 other chefs worked together to put out a cookbook about game at hunting clubs in MS. You should pick up one from Amazon.

http://www.wildabundancecookbook.com/

Mentioned in this post
Luke
Luke
2,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Domenica
Domenica
1,901 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,378 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

Thanks Axle. We've eaten at Domenica (okay) and American Sector (onion rings to die for!) but none of Besh's other restaurants. The menu at Luke looks interesting, unique and delicious. I think I am putting it on our agenda for our June trip!

Mentioned in this post
Domenica
Domenica
1,901 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Luke
Luke
2,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

I forgot about American Sector. Lil Dizzy's is a good place a couple of blocks W of Luke in Whitney Hotel.

Lil Dizzy's @ 610 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 212 - 5656.

www.southerngumbotrail.com/baquet.shtml

Mentioned in this post
Lil Dizzy's Cafe
Lil Dizzy's Cafe
329 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Luke
Luke
2,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Whitney Hotel
The Whitney Hotel
1,605 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

Go to August for their lunch special. It's across from Windsor Court Hotel. I was not impressed at dinner. But lunch is fun and not expensive. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor Court Hotel
Windsor Court Hotel
1,827 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,177 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

I had lunch at Luke once and it was actually a pretty miserable experience. I'm probably in the minority, I guess most people like the place. I had mediocre food and really bad service.

The problem with New Orleans is there are so many great places to eat where I haven't been yet, so it's hard to go back to a place where I had a bad meal to give them a second chance.

Mentioned in this post
Luke
Luke
2,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

Irish Fan..........JMO but I have been reading travel and dining message boards a long time and yours is the first bad review of Luke that I have ever seen. Besh did not put another Luke in San Antonio if the one in NOLA was not successful.

I believe you should give any restaurant a second chance after a bad experience. It could have been new help or a busy night. I usually wait a month or so and then return for the second chance. If it's not up to par the second time then I don't usually go back but I have a time or two.

The Chowhound NOLA board is pretty active and I have never heard of a bad review of Luke. Give em another chance. Good luck.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 21:01
Mentioned in this post
Luke
Luke
2,278 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,378 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,177 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

Axle, I think the common theme for the bad reviews is more about the service rather than the food. I don't usually look to Tripadvisor reviews as my first source for restaurant recommendations, for example. But in this case only 62% of the people who wrote a review would recommend it. And some of the more negative reviews seem to be the most recent ones.

Yelp.com also has a good sprinkling of reviews complaining about bad service. I'm not adverse to trying the place again if I were in the neighborhood. But like I said in my other post, the town has too many places I haven't tried yet so I don't tend to go back to a place that didn't "wow" me.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

Yelp is how Hermicane found El Gato Negro! That was one of the BEST finds e-v-e-r!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
El Gato Negro Mexican Restaurant
El Gato Negro Mexican...
610 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
9. Re: Has anyone eaten at Luke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 04:16