We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Breakfast with Parking Available

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Great Breakfast with Parking Available

I am looking for a nice place to have breakfast on a Friday morning. We are staying near Frenchmen Street and will be driving to the zoo that morning. Maybe something in the GD?

Good food is most important but ambience is nice too. Someone had recommended Mother's but after reading the reviews I don't think it's for us. There are too many comments about the food being bad.

One key to our choice is available parking. Since we're driving to the zoo I need someplace to park for breakfast.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Here is a link to a map of parking in the FQ.

frenchquarter.com/maps/parking6lots.pdf

You could also go Uptown to the Camellia Grill. Food is great if you like old fashioned greasy spoon diner food. It is an instituion in New Orleans. All counter seating. You can park in the lot of a strip mall a short distance away.

If you decide to utilize the link and park in the French Quarter, There are lots of good choices. A couple of my favorites are Old Coffee Pot on St Peter and Oceana Grill, (AKA Old Nawlins Cookery), on Conti.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Maybe Surrey's Cafe on Magazine, see:

surreyscafeandjuicebar.com/Surreys-New-Orlea…

Although not particularly fancy, it's nice and fun, and the food is very good. Although we took the Magazine St. bus there, I would think neighborhood parking would not be a problem; you might want to give them a call. Crowds should not be a problem on Friday (unless it's a holiday). From there you can just drive up Magazine St. to the Zoo.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Elizabeths Restaurant in the Marigny-can you smell the praline bacon?

www.elizabeths-restaurant.com/home.html

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

I would suggest Elizabeth's in Bywater but you are going W to the zoo so take St. Charles to Lee Circle and go S on Andrew Higgins a block to Magazine and go W on Magazine past I 90. Go about 4 blocks past I 90 to Surrey's for outstanding B/L.Park on Magazine. You could go to I 90 and take a left just under I 90 and go two blocks S to Magazine.

Elizabeth's @ 601 Gallier St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 944 - 9272.

www.elizabeths-restaurant.com/home.html

Don't ever go to Mothers. Elizabeth's, Camellia Grill, Trolley Stop Cafe, Daisy Dukes, Mena's and Old Coffee Pot Cafe are the places to go for breakfast.

It's about 3 miles from Frenchmen Street and should take you about 10 minutes for the best breakfast in NOLA. You can continue on Magazine to the zoo. It's about 5 miles. There are some great shops and stores along in the 3,000 to 5,000 block area. Good luck.

Surrey's Restaurant and Juice Bar @ 1418 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 524 - 3828.

http://www.surreyscafeandjuicebar.com/

Trolley Stop Cafe @ 1923 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 504 - 523 - 0090.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 20:38
QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Thanks for the great suggestions and especially the links. You've given me some interesting choices.

We ate lunch at Trolley Stop Cafe about a thousand years ago (2003) and really enjoyed it. Glad to know it's still there.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Cafe Adelaide is a fine place for breakfast. Hobnobber's is also nice.

Cafe Adelaide @ 300 Poydras St., New Orleans, LA 504 - 595 - 3305.

http://www.cafeadelaide.com/

Hobnobber's Variety Bar and Restaurant @ 139 Carondelet Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 525 - 5428.

http://www.neworleanshobnobber.com/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Houston........I am going to standy by Surrey's but I forgot about Coulis. It's on Pyrtania near Uptown a block off St. Charles. It's open from 6 AM to 3 PM for breakfast and lunch. The chef came from Dick and Jenny's and took over the old Blue Bird Cafe. You will like both but I still like Surrey's.

You won't have problems parking at either. Good luck.

Coulis @ 3625 Prytania, New Orleans, LA. 504 - 304 - 4265.

neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Since you're in the Marigny, try Cake Cafe

http://www.nolacakes.com/

In Uptown, I like Blue Plate Cafe on Prytania for shrimp and grits and the crawfish cakes and eggs. Slim Goodies on Magazine is a true dive, but gets the job done, nothing special. Also, am another fan of Surrey's. Panola St. Cafe is in deepest darkest Carrollton and a little out of your way, but represents another option. I am not crazy about Coulis, but their take on Eggs Benedict is kinda tasty. Warning: if go there on a weekday, park legally; that hospital area is a feeding frenzy for aggressive meter maids!

urbanspoon.com/r/…Blue-Plate-Cafe-New-Orleans

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

Parking is easy once you're outside the Quarter. Few places will have their own lots, by the way, so you'll need to do street (parallel) parking.

10. Re: Great Breakfast with Parking Available

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 07:17