We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
144 reviews
Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

The DK guide book on New Orleans suggests caution when walking around outside the French Quarter. When I searched this forum, I found a post from 2009 that says it is safe to walk from the FQ to Emeril's in the Warehouse District for lunch, which suggests to me it is not so safe in the evening.

Should I not walk from the FQ to Emeril's at 800 Tchoupitoulas St.? Google maps says it's only a 20 minute walk.

And is walking from City Park to FQ not advisable? Again, google maps says it's an hour walk which I thought would be good exercise.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Calgary......this has been discussed quite often here. I have been walking in the FQ and CBD for about 20 years. I walk N on Canal to Rampart then to Esplanade and then to the river and turn W and walk through the CBD back to my FQ hotel. I walk for an hour when I do this on trips to NOLA. The CBD is perfectly safe. The worst area close to the FQ is N of Rampart and N of I 10. That area is lousy. You can take the Canal Street streetcar to City Park and walk but better take the St. Charles streetcar to Audubun Park and walk all you desire, walk back on Magazine and visit the neat shops and stores there.

Use good judgement anywhere at night. Walk in well lighted areas and stay around a crowd. I would not hesitate to walk to Emeril's. Go early and have drinks at Lucy's Bar a block or two before Emeril's at Girod and Tchoupitoulas. Then have dinner at Emeril's. Take a cab back.

The FQ is safe but late at night the area on the E side close to Marigny is less crowded and not as well lighted. I would use caution there late at night. And stay away from Rampart at night also. Walk anywhere in the CBD or WD at night but take a cab late at night. Good luck.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Walking from the French Quarter to City Park is safe during daylight hours IF you use only Esplanade Ave. after you leave the French Quarter; some mapping services specify Orleans Ave. or St. Louis St. which is NOT a good route.

Walking on Tchoupitoulas between Canal St. and Julia St. (where Emeril's is) should be safe up until about 10:00 PM (when the restaurants start to close). However, if it is a very quiet night, or it just doen't feel right, take a cab back to the French Quarter (cheap and easy to come by).

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

I have walked in the daylight from the French Quarter to City Park via Esplanade Ave., and did not feel the least bit uncomfortable (Esplanade is a well traveled thoroughfare). However, at the time I was a fifty something male accompanied by a forty something male. Upon reflection, this is not a walk I would recommend for a woman walking alone.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
144 reviews
4. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Thanks for the advice. I have in the past assumed walking anywhere during daylight would be fine so was a bit surprised to read a guidebook that suggests it is not. Then, again, I'm not always sure I should trust my judgment. In the past, I walked around an area of Chicago near the bus station just for some exercise then friends later told me that was a stupid place to be wandering around.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Art--We did the same thing in Buffalo! When we finally got to our destination (the gas station) a guy came in beaten to a pulp and said he just got robbed for the 5 bucks he had in his pocket! We lucked out on that one!

We have walked on Tchoupitoulas several times during the day and have never been bothered and freaked out by anybody! Have fun and be aware of your surroundings.

los angeles
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

i agree. i walk the CBD and warehouse district alone during the day. but anywhere, in any city i don't walk alone at night. as for the f.Q. to the city park. esplanade is a nice walk. well traveled during the day. but i prefer audubon park and walk back home via magazine street. so much more to see. the whole 6 miles of magazine is filled with shops, restaurants and bars. don't forget to check out all the art galleries on julia street in the warehouse district. check out what's showing on neworleansonline.com.

AR
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

I am a woman alone and walk from the FQ to City Park in the daylight using the Esplanade route...several interesting, historic houses/ sites, restaurants and bars along the way.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Skt.............what are some of the restaurants along that route. Is Liuzza's along in there. Thanks.

AR
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

Yes, Liuzza's is in the area as well as Cafe Degas, Lola's, Lil Dizzy....Swirl Wine Shop is across from Lola's....excellent selection and wine tastings at least once a week....big crowd for the tastings with appetizers. Fun area.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: Safe to walk outside the French Quarter?

The walk from the FQ to Emeril's at 800 Tchoupitoulas St should be fine. If you're uncomfortable, ask for a cab.

To City Park from The Quarter...substitute walking around/thru Audubon Park or the Zoo in its place.