We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday before Mardi Gras arrival

Louisiana
Level Contributor
246 posts
66 reviews
Sunday before Mardi Gras arrival

Son & friend will be driving to NOLA on Sunday. Staying at Marriott on Canal. Just realized they may have problems getting to hotel due to its location on parade route. Any advice on how to time their arrival. They are coming in for the Bacchus parade. Thanks

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,256 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Sunday before Mardi Gras arrival

There are daytime parades on Sunday. The first parade will hit Canal St. between 1:00 and 1:30; I would guess they'll start closing down Canal St. at noon; they should try to get there before noon. The only way to get into the Marriott garage is from Canal St. or Chartres St., but Chartres St. is one way with access only from Canal St. Your son should make sure he has written documentation showing his hotel reservation so he can get show it to police to get through the French Quarter. I would try to get on Decatur St. going in the up River direction (Southwest), then turn right on Canal St., then turn right into the Marriott garage.

HOWEVER, I would first call the Marriott and ask for advice, and if the advisor seems credible, take it.

Edited: 21 February 2011, 16:59
Louisiana
Level Contributor
246 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Sunday before Mardi Gras arrival

Thanks for your advice. Will also contact Marriot. They'll be coming in from Baton Rouge on I 10 & would get off at Carrollton/Super Dome exit. Any other advice on how to come in on the Sunday to access the Marriott? Thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Sunday before Mardi Gras arrival

Tell them to get up as early as possible and head down from BR no later than 8 AM. If they get here early, they should be able to get off at City Park Ave. and get on Canal St. from there and drive all the way down to the Marriott. They'll have to loop around across the neutral ground by Canal Place.

4. Re: Sunday before Mardi Gras arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:18