We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

As usual the gang couldn't get it's act together until late in the day. No one was assuming responsibility for organizing the foray to the Quarter. Finally I called one of my friends who is a music teacher and never misses an opportunity to see the brass bands. We assembled a group and got to the Quarter around 7. It was immediately apparent that there were a lot more poeple than usual, which we had anticipated. It was the first KdV I've been to that didn't require at least a jacket and people responded to the mild weather. Because of the crowds and our drop-off point (St. Phillip and Dauphine by Matassa's) we decided not to go to Tujaques's bar. We made stops at Flanagan's and Harry's. They were both both very busy, but not insanely so. Harry's hasn't changed in the 30 years I've been here. We decided to catch the parade a little earlier than on Decatur by picking it up on Royal near St. Phillip. The parade was very nice, lots of brass bands, some of whom were really hot. I didn't think the parade was quite as funny as some others have been, but it was definitely worth it. There are always a few folks with small children who obviously didn't get the memo. These two moms were across the street from us with their little ones and as soon as the first group of guys holding large flashing male organs passed by, they exchanged one of those hapless "We're not in Kansas anymore" looks.

Once we exchanged hugs with our friends in the Krewe of Underwear sub-krewe and each got our 25th year commemorative wooden doubloon, the parade was over. About 10 minutes later the Krewe Delusion passed by. This a small but energetic group of mostly twenty-somethings who had a couple of makeshift floats. They were gone in probably 3-4 minutes so I would put them in the category of a marching club and not really a parade.

Based on the late date of Mardi Gras and the crowds at KdV and the toasty weather yesterday, I anticipate the last 4 days of Carnival are going to be VERY large this year. Plan accordingly.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
89 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

Another noteworthy note: none of us with ATT phones could get service during the parade. Not enough capacity? Usually ATT moves the mobile towers into place along the routes to add capacity, but maybe that won't be until next weekend? Fortunately, we had set a meet-up up point (our group decided to split up when we got there) and time so it was all good. Having a verbal plan is always good practice just for this kind of circumstance when technology fails. When it was time to call our "cab", I gave up on my worthless ATT phone and borrowed my friend's phone which worked fine. Thanks, Verizon!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

I kept the restaurant open till 4:30 instead of the usual 2pm and had a nice day of business as a result. We had friends staying at the W in the Quarter so we were able to shower and change there, without having to go Uptown and come back. I always manage to get a spot right in front of the restaurant and I was so loathe to lose it! We all had a drink at the Carousel Bar and introduced our friends to Sazeracs. We walked down towards the parade and go close enough for me to be behind a 15 person layer of people. I saw the tops of the brass bands, and the tops of the floats!! I'm not kidding when I say I'm a little italian girl from North Jersey... It's the story of my life. If I'm not in the front row I usually miss everything. The music sounded great! After that we headed over to Red Fish Grill for dinner. It was a magnificent meal.

The crowd, overall, seemed in good spirits and completely manageable.

Mentioned in this post
Carousel Bar
Carousel Bar
1,737 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Red Fish Grill
Red Fish Grill
3,859 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

Ha, you need a ladder, Vera!! Crowds were about about 3-4 deep in our area in the middle of the 900 block of Royal. Much thicker closer to the corners. I would imagine Decatur was pretty thick.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,199 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

Thanks for the report. Some good pictures on NOLA.com this morning...the one from the group about "HBO" made me fall into my cornflakes I was laughing so hard...

…nola.com/tpphotos/2011/02/krewe_du_vieux_pa…

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,378 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

Loved the pics, thanks for the link.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

The lack of AT&T service last night was absolutely ridiculous! Stinks that every last person in my group had AT&T. Made for a frustrating night. I must've seen you at some point as were spent most of the night at Flanagans and watched the parade first at Royal and St. Phillip. We caught it again from Turtle Bay on Decatur, but the crowd there was at least 10 deep and I stayed inside the bar!

I overheard some parents talking about the parade and how fun it was going to be for their small kids. I thought I'd advise them that it was going to be an 'R' rated parade. They sure didn't care and were more than appauled when the parade came through. Hey, I tried!

I also didn't find it as funny as past parades.

7. Re: Krewe du Vieux & Krewe Delusion notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:16