We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

Several posters have inquired regarding observing jazz funerals; several posters are going to be in NOLA this weekend.

William David Pearlman, better known as "Poppa Neutrino" and the founder of the family band Ingrid Lucia and the Flying Neutrinos has past away. The band was a French Quarter street band with Ingrid as a child performer until Ingrid became better recognized. On Saturday, there will be a jazz funeral for Poppa Neutrino starting at 11 a.m. at Rampart and St. Ann that will end at the Mississippi River.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

I wish I was going to be there. I have always wanted to participate in a second line. Especially for a career musician of such acclaim.

What is the etiquette about attending, esp if you did not personally know the deceased at all? Do the family and friends resent the presence of strangers, or is it "the more the merrier?"

Being mindful that they are burying a loved one, I sure would not want to be less than respectful.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

A jazz Funeral is an honor and open to all who wish to honor the deceased; the family and friends would not stage such an event if privacy was desired at that particular time. But one who is not among the family and close friends should keep in mind they are part of the "second line" not the "first line" and maintain a respectful distance. The last portion of the prossesion is meant to be a celebration.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

This information is great but this is the one weekend I cant make it from BR to NOLA. Could you keep us posted about any future ones also.

Thanks so much!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
395 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

We were able to see the funeral on St Ann Street. Then later we were on the ferry to Algiers and so were they. Quite an experience! We were pretty much in the middle of it all.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

Darn! It was the only weekend I couldn't be here either. I'm here for the next two weeks. Please post if you hear of another Loopwhole. Thanks!!

6. Re: Jazz Funeral this coming Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 01:17